Sponsored by:

OT: Hybrid cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:13 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Hybrid cars

Does anyone have any ownership experience with hybrid vehicles? With gas prices the way they are, I'm really contemplating the purchase of a Toyota Highlander Hybrid when they launch in early 2005. Any input would be appreciated. BTW, I was talking to my receptionist about hybrid vehicles and her exact statement was " Oh, where would you get hybrid gas though?" Needless to say, I was on the floor LMAO!
Old 05-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me guess her hair color...

What is the price on the Highlander?
MB has a E class diesel coming out soon. Almost 800 miles on a tank of diesel fuel.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 335 Posts

Lexus also has an RX330 coming out w/ a hybrid powerplant.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:41 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Greg,

The Highlander hybrid will tack on an additional 3-4K to a similiarly optioned car now. A Limited with leather 4x4 and 5 speed automatic would be right around 40K. I don't know if it would be worth the premium unless I keep the car forever. My other option is to trade in our Honda Pilot when the lease ends in 6/05 and get a new one.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

There was an article in the local paper that buyers of the Civic and Prius are upset because their actual mileage is 25% less than the EPA mileage. Thats the very high end of the discrepancy range between real world and EPA. According to the article, it's pretty easy to get 35 mpg in a Hybrid car, which is about what a Turbo Diesel VW gets, with a bunch more oomph.

The lower mpg didn't bother the first Hybrid buyers who wanted to do something green. Its pissing off the latest buyers who thought they were going to save money.

Greg H.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by jdoc7
Greg,

The Highlander hybrid will tack on an additional 3-4K to a similiarly optioned car now. A Limited with leather 4x4 and 5 speed automatic would be right around 40K. I don't know if it would be worth the premium unless I keep the car forever. My other option is to trade in our Honda Pilot when the lease ends in 6/05 and get a new one.
Assuming the performance is equal, and that the tax credit ($2500?) is still available for you the hybrid doesn't seem to be too much of an extra cost.

I guess I would worry about the longevity of them and repair costs.

If fuel economy was the main issue I would probably be looking at a turbo diesel of some variant. I wish BMW would bring their 5 series over, also a Tourageg with a diesel option would nice....
Old 05-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Greg H.
There was an article in the local paper that buyers of the Civic and Prius are upset because their actual mileage is 25% less than the EPA mileage. Thats the very high end of the discrepancy range between real world and EPA. According to the article, it's pretty easy to get 35 mpg in a Hybrid car, which is about what a Turbo Diesel VW gets, with a bunch more oomph.

The lower mpg didn't bother the first Hybrid buyers who wanted to do something green. Its pissing off the latest buyers who thought they were going to save money.

Greg H.
The hybrids aren't the only ones that are getting this "real world" mileage adjustment.

I haven't bought a car for fuel mileage reasons (yet) so I have yet to be disappointed.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:30 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the diesel alternative...

Last week, while waiting for an oil change at my VW dealer, I test drove a Passat TDI and was very pleased with its handling/speed and larger functionality compared with my Jetta TDI. They had a black wagon TDI too. Passat mileage estimates were high 20s/high 30s which is 10 mpg lower than what I've experienced with the Jetta.
I'll be waiting for a more economical TDI than the V10.

PS - Few days ago, I visited a Toyota dealer and inquired about the Prius and was curtly told, sold out, $4K premium.

I think I'll save the planet with a diesel.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I understand the credit is down to $1500 this year and going down $500 a year. All cars do have an adjustment between real world and EPA mileage figures. The article I referred to said the hybrids are at the top of the range, but not above it. Small engines tend to have a larger discrepancy because they don't run the A/C during the EPA test and the power drain from A/C is proportionally more for a smaller engine. They also pointed out that the hybrid's batteries are a lot less efficent in cold weather, so real world mileage can suffer even more depending on where you live.

I think there is a 4 month wait list in Berkeley to buy them at MSRP.

Greg H.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:53 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
If fuel economy was the main issue I would probably be looking at a turbo diesel of some variant. I wish BMW would bring their 5 series over, also a Tourageg with a diesel option would nice....
I'm with Greg on this one. I would look for a TDI Golf or the like before spending the bucks for a Hybrid. At least until they get more refined and lower in cost to build..

Good question, where does one get Hybrid fuel

Sad thing is, my 993 gets better mileage than my Toyota Prerunner....
Old 05-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

I drove a friend's Prius at the weekend, and was highly impressed. Gas mileage is just one factor. In LA traffic, with lots of stop/start, the fact is that when stuck in traffic using the electric motor, the engine is not sitting pouring out exhaust gases. Pedestrians would benefit straightaway. I tihnk this is a good "green" benefit over and above gas mileage.

Coming from the UK, where diesel is still good value given the extra MPH, I still believe that diesel's churn out significantly more particulate matter that regular gas engines. Good maintenance helps, but even so.

So my vote is go hybrid, and get the greenhouse gases down, and the city-concentrations of pollution down.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking at the Hybrids for a while and through their "green" advantages do impress, overall they are not the most cost efficient.
Say, if you compare Honda Civics, the most efficient gas version (HX) with the Hybrid, the Hybrid purchase price is $6000 more than the HX. Based on $2 gas and 12K miles per year, the Hybrid will save $200 per year in gas. It would take 30 years to make up the difference in the purchase price. In the 30 years the batteries would need to be replaced 3 times at a cost of $3k. Your neighborhood garage will not have the expertise to maintain the the new technology so the Hybrid is destined for expensive trips to the dealer.

For my money, I will go with a high efficient gas engine and if I feel the need to be green - I will plant a tree.

Quick Reply: OT: Hybrid cars