Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30 hp increase....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well my car started out as a 96 so it had the varioram but it has hydraulic lifters. Also I bet your exhaust is more restrictive, since my car is setup for racing only. It is way to loud for everyday driving now. The exhaust itself added 16 hp.

I agree with Mark on dyno variations too. My engine was measured on an engine dyno, and the results were very consistent across multiple runs. They can control airtemp, oiltemp, vacuum pressure, etc. Also I had the work done at a shop that builds race engine for Porsches. They tend to get all they can out of engine.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:54 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One detrimental factor in donducting the measurements was that the first measurement was done with an air temperature of 36 F, and the second with an air temperature of 80 F. So the hp gain must have been a bit more than 30 hp...

Also a question: can the exhaust system really contribute that much hp? A friend of mine has a stock GT3 and removing the muffler resulted in only 3 hp more...

But maybe all that is important is to look at the shape of the torque curve and, of course, driving the car...
Old 06-03-2002, 05:39 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

That temperature difference could make a big difference if the dyno results did not take that into effect.

On the exhaust, yes it did make a signigicant difference. We did several back to back dyno run with the stock muffler and cats and one with the supercup mufflers and modified cats. There was a 16hp difference. But my car will not pass an emissions test and is way to loud for daily driving now. This is a race only setup.

What ECU did you use on your car, the stock one or the RS one that came with the kit? Also what type of reprogramming did you do to it?
Old 06-04-2002, 01:14 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My original ECU unit was replaced by a programmable ECU unit and it was programmed by Sportec, a Swiss tuner with a good reputation which the official Porsche dealership here works together with. What changes Sportec did to the parameter tables, I do not know...

I have sport cats, but not the sport muffler, since it proved too loud for daily use.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

One last thing when my car was getting dynoed after the upgrade it initally looked like your results. Meaning the HP and Torque was peaking at lower rpm then it should. The problem was they were not using a big enough vacum tank during the tests. After they change this the peak torque was at 5400 rpm and the peak hp was at 6500 rpm. Right on the factory spec. If you engine was dynoed on an engine dyno you may have the same problem? If this was the case you car probably is making more HP and torque curve is even more flater then what your test results show. Just a though.

Quick Reply: 30 hp increase....