Sponsored by:

Phx-Flagstaff road trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 04:18 AM
jz993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phx-Flagstaff road trip

Today I had the pleasure of driving my car to Flagstaff and back. It was the first trip out of town since buying in Jan. It was worth the wait, but it won't be so long 'til next time
Part of the pleasure was having an SUV with 4 exhuberant college guys pass me, and drive as if blessed with diplomatic immunity, averaging at least 90mph over a 35 mile? stretch. This allowed me to have my fun pretty safely. I got up to 120 while keeping them in sight. Not bragging, just saying how stable and understressed it was. Going 120 in my '77 Trans Am was a little different.
What have you had yours up to???
The terrain up to Flag is real Porsche country. There are 2 canyon descent/ascents on the way to 7000ft. elev. Long (3-5 mi.) ascents up twisty 6% grades seperates the Porsches from the "regular" cars nicely.
It wasn't until about 30 miles from Flag that I realized the car had cruise control! It was just so much fun to drive. I refilled in Flag, finding 23mpg on a mostly uphill trip with some hard driving. I can live with that.
We are so lucky to have these cars.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:45 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

JZ

We clearly don't endorse going over the posted speed limits in our cars While not in the 993 manual, it was clearly stated in my old 944 Porsche Owners Manual that Porsche does not condone going over the posted speed limits. That was on the same page as the instruction not to down shift from fifth to forth above 120 MPH

Sounds like you had a great drive. I hope it is just the beginning of a great summer of driving the twisties!

Have fun

Al
Old 05-22-2004, 02:41 PM
jz993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Al, althought "summer driving" has quite a different meaning here, than in Maine! I know you must be ready to get your car out of hibernation. Great cure for cabin fever

Quick Reply: Phx-Flagstaff road trip