Sponsored by:

Single Stage paint correction

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 07:26 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Single Stage paint correction

Recently purchased a Guards Red 1995 Coupe. The paint is mostly original and in great shape. A body shop owner here in town who is a PCA sponsor and works on high end cars recommended against having my car paint corrected/ ceramic coated due to the GR being a single stage paint which is too thin at its age to withstand a real correction. Others in previous threads I read recommended it. Anyone have experience with this issue?
Old 06-16-2023, 07:53 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
Recently purchased a Guards Red 1995 Coupe. The paint is mostly original and in great shape. A body shop owner here in town who is a PCA sponsor and works on high end cars recommended against having my car paint corrected/ ceramic coated due to the GR being a single stage paint which is too thin at its age to withstand a real correction. Others in previous threads I read recommended it. Anyone have experience with this issue?
Check the paint with a paint meter to be safe. When cutting/buffing, always use the least harsh means possible. Some cars will need very light correction, some will need substantial work. Meter the paint and go from there. I think you'll be fine.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:08 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 264 Posts

I have a guards red car and it shows like new.

Go buy some Meguiars #7 glaze. It's the gold standard for single stage paint correction.

Wash the car and clay it if needed.

Apply the Meguiars with a Terry cloth towel. Rub it on in straight lines. Vertical on the sides of the car; and in the direction of the wind (front to back) on the hood, roof and rear. Leave it on the car over night. Remove by hand with a clean Terry cloth towel. Do NOT use microfiber. The Terry cloth is the abrasive. It will take some effort to remove and probably two or three clean towels. Meguiars will not dry on the car (it doesn't dry).

You will NOT need to use a power tool on the car after you do this. The car will look like new.

Amazon Amazon

Old single stage loses its essential oils. It's fragile and easy to buff right off the car. When I bought my car it was "chalky" white and also much more orange. The Meguiars restores the original color and health of the paint.

Good luck.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 06-16-2023 at 09:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jfischet (06-17-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 09:13 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Random garage pic:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

/

Last edited by fatmike; 06-16-2023 at 09:25 PM.
INTMD8 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 10:23 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks great,will give it a go
Old 06-16-2023, 10:41 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 541 Posts

Did he paint meter it? Sounds like a amateur. Fat Mike you’re looks like ****!
fatmike (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 01:14 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

The paint is mostly original and in great shape.
Then there is no reason to remove a layer of your original paint. You were given good advice.

Save your paint for addressing inevitable scratches or other imperfections in the future. “Paint correction” should be a last resort, not a matter of course.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:03 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Hi D1coach,
Too thin, really?
My experience is that the original single-stage paint on my Speed Yellow car is quite durable and unlike two-stage paint, all the top layers carry the color and so has been buffed out multiple times to strip any oxidation and make the car really shine. Not familiar with the color correction process, but I suspect the process is designed to deal with clear-coat finishes where buffing may not be the best way to go in that the shine is produced by one or two layers of clear-coat on top of the color layer(s) and one doesn't want to accidentally cut through it/them by buffing.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 06-17-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:21 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Mine has a million scratches if you catch it in the right light. 98% of the time it looks fantastic so I don't bother other than a good wax/polish once a year or so. I'm more of a drive and enjoy than a car show/garage queen polisher.
pp000830 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 12:00 PM
hootie
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
I have a guards red car and it shows like new.

Go buy some Meguiars #7 glaze. It's the gold standard for single stage paint correction.

Wash the car and clay it if needed.

Apply the Meguiars with a Terry cloth towel. Rub it on in straight lines. Vertical on the sides of the car; and in the direction of the wind (front to back) on the hood, roof and rear. Leave it on the car over night. Remove by hand with a clean Terry cloth towel. Do NOT use microfiber. The Terry cloth is the abrasive. It will take some effort to remove and probably two or three clean towels. Meguiars will not dry on the car (it doesn't dry).

You will NOT need to use a power tool on the car after you do this. The car will look like new.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirr...ps%2C97&sr=8-1

Old single stage loses its essential oils. It's fragile and easy to buff right off the car. When I bought my car it was "chalky" white and also much more orange. The Meguiars restores the original color and health of the paint.

Good luck.

/
Can this process be used on metallic paints? My black metallic has very soft clear coat and scratches appear quite quickly. I am planning a full spa day for her in a couple months.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:51 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cactus
Mine has a million scratches if you catch it in the right light. 98% of the time it looks fantastic so I don't bother other than a good wax/polish once a year or so. I'm more of a drive and enjoy than a car show/garage queen polisher.
if its single stage use the Meguiars #7. The paint absorbs it and the scratches are less visible.

/
pp000830 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 04:53 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hootie
Can this process be used on metallic paints? My black metallic has very soft clear coat and scratches appear quite quickly. I am planning a full spa day for her in a couple months.
probably not - I would assume metallic is clear coated - so totally different thing.

/
pp000830 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 05:10 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 560 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by hootie
Hootie,

You can use something like Adam's Brilliant Glaze on single stage or two stage paint, solid or metallic and get similar results. The glaze has oils and fillers that will "hide" and fine halos and really make the paint pop without polishing. It won't last long, maybe a couple washes but looks fantastic in between, greatly extending the OCD triggers to polish. Can easily be applied after wax. As the owner of a black, midnight blue metallic and silver, I can attest to it working well on all of them.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:40 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 517 Posts

If the paint has slight imperfections or swirls and halos, then a very light polish with a finishing polish (very light cutting agent) will make it look new again. Then follow up with a ceramic coat or a high quality carnauba wax will really pop and last more than a wash. It'll be good for 3-6 months depending on care, then simply clay at and wax again.

Not polishing and paint correcting these cars "because the paint is too thin" is ridiculous. Just takes a little work and a few products. I'll bet the guy that passed simply had too much work or your paint is a hot mess that he didn't want to take responsibility for. Any pictures?
Old 06-18-2023, 02:13 AM
climbernyc
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I’ve been told not to use ceramic on original single stage as it hardens and can cause spider webbing cracks in the paint. Meguiars 7 is a great first step to Re-moisturize the paint before any other work…
fatmike (06-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Single Stage paint correction