Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted: How much is too much for this 95?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:11 AM
H. Miller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll sell you my 96 C2 with 15k miles for that price.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

These are all good comments, and I agree that the price is on the high side. Let me add one thought, however.

As a crazed, life-long car hobbyist I have been buying and selling Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes for nearly 30 years and I learned this lesson the hard way: a few thousand dollars either way should not stop you from getting the car that is "the one" for you.

To me, the whole point of owning these cars is so that you get a smile on your face whenever you see and drive it. Whatever small thrill you get from buying a "bargain," unless it is exactly what you wanted anyway, disappears as you begin to live with a car that is not your first choice for colors, options, condition, etc.

IMHO, whether it is this car or another one, you are buying the car, not the price, and its is finding the right car that should be your primary consideration.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:00 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default I agree completely

Originally posted by Speedraser
I frequently disagree with the board consensus on prices -- I think this board often undervalues these cars, largely because a fair number of people have gotten what I consider "bargains." If the car you're looking at is truly pristine, I think it is worth more than $30K suggested here. I think low-$30s is also likely a bit low, though such cars are found in very nice shape, as evidenced by rennlisters. I'd say mid-$30Ks is realistic and fair.

Even I think $42K is FAR over market value.
Honestly, I wish I was as good at bargaining as many on this board are. I am consistently amazed by the pricing people think is fair on this board (way less then my expectations or what I ever see). Speedracer, I am with you on what would be considered fair pricing (though 42k is way above market value).
For the other people on this board that get such good pricing- next time I'm in the market for another 993, I would happily pay a commission to anyone that can negotiate some of the deals I have read about
Old 05-21-2004, 03:57 PM
TRW
Advanced

WAY too high. Just sold my 95 with 42K, 18" turbo twists for $32.5 no accidents and just a few minor maintenance issues. Even if you think this car is the one don't buy it for near that price.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Secret Squirrel
AutoX

Default 95 993

As another data point.. I paid arround $31.5K for my 95 993 with 61K miles on it. Both the shop that did the PPI, and the shop that did the DE Inspection both said that was a reasonable price for the car. Some may say it was to high, but I'm happy.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Bigbartguy
Advanced

I'm with Speedraser and Alex

$42k is WAY over market for this car but I'm always amazed at how many folks have gotten unbelievable deals on their cars. . These deals are probably few and far between and shouldnt define the market. I think the board usually understates the value of cars.........or alot of people have overpaid (including me!)
Old 05-22-2004, 03:02 PM
danny993
AutoX

I also think that where you are located will make a difference in determining FMV to some extent, if you want to buy locally.

In the SF Bay Area, I just picked up an unmodified '95 with 50K miles in excellent condition for under $29,000.

Check autotrader often and you will find the right one. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2004, 04:00 PM
victoria993
Track Day

Default Update

I received a call late on Friday from the salesman of the $42K 993. He wanted to give me his cell phone number so that I could let him know over the weekend what I want to do. "No pressure," he says, "but there are a couple of serious lookers who may step up this weekend with a deposit. I just want to give you a fair shot at the car too..."

How noble. He must have a very good heart.

Based on my own gut feeling and the great feedback I've received here, I've decided to pass on the local car and explore other "long distance" opportunities. I will let you know how it turns out.

Many thanks,

Lance
Old 05-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted: How much is too much for this 95?