Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I am so SICK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joining a support group is the best way to learn to live with chronic illness. Welcome!!

However, I would strongly recommend a PRE-purchase inspection (PPI). Emphasis on PRE!

There can be things wrong that even very conscientious owners won't notice. There was a recent thread about PPI horror story. A little caution now can prevent heart ache later. And when the PPI comes bacl clean, you can sleep even better at night knowing your beauty won't become a beast.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

You're going to love the drive home; a smile ear to ear and you'll keep asking yourself...Is this really mine?!?! Congrats, and update us when you get back.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Joe L
Instructor

Thumbs up

Congrats!!!

If it makes you feel any more confident - I bought mine site unseen from a locator near Boston, flew out early one morning and drove it back to Ohio. It is the first Porsche I have ever owned, first 993 ever driven, and I love every minute!!! Driving the car home like that was a great way to get to know the car...

I do recommend having it inspected before you pick it up, however, as my PPI revealed that it needed new brakes and rotors, which were replaced prior to my arrival by a shop recommended via this board. Have fun, and get used to people looking at you (actually your car) as you drive by!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are "sick" then there a a lot of terminally ill people here Tell me about it, I bought a 993 cab and I live in a place where it is winter most of the time! My 993 has brought me a ton of pleasure already and looking forward to driving and DIYing on a daily basis....Congrats! AK
Old 05-20-2004, 02:14 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go 911 343,
if you hadn't of done it now you would have sooner or later...........if worst comes to worst 29k sound very reasonable for that car with all the options you described.

I'll bet you love it !!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:53 PM
lexpilot
Racer

No worries ThreeFourtyThree ! A Tip car may not have been run as hard as a manual, "Not that there's anything wrong with that". These cars seem to be bulletproof for high spirited driving and you will only suffer the same problems the rest of us have no matter how careful some think they are. I bought my 993 with no previous professional inspection and it turned out to be normal. It had a few small oil leaks and the brakes needed to be bled and some minor cosmetic issues but all in all no major problems.
And you did not overpay for your car relative to the time of year. Be aware that prices drop precipitously in the fall, however.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats! It's great to have another 993 in Seattle. I would follow the advice and get your car gone over before you leave Denver...isn't there a Rennlister or two in that area that could recomend a shop?

Have a blast on the trip back!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:33 PM
blackcat
Racer

Talk about an impulse buy!

congrats
Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations!!

I made the same trip but in reverse when we moved from Tacoma to Colorado Springs. You're going to pass through some beautiful country. You should get the car inspected before the trip as there are some long stretches of empty road so if something were to go wrong you'd be thumbing it. A Clear Bra type product is a great idea in your area. You may have to wait a bit to put it on if you repaint your bumper. Check with the local installers. I have the X-pel kit on my 996 and I am very happy with it.

Check out SIR when you get the car to Seattle. It's a great track!

Enjoy!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:56 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are a brave man! No upfront inspection.....very bold indeed! I was looking at that same car. He really came down in price eh? The car looked great in the photos, very clean. I wasn't sold on the idea of tiptronic myself so I didn't pursue it but I love the look of that one. Let us know how it is once you get it. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Good luck - you should love every second of it.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:25 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Hey 343, did you catch it from me? Cause I definitely have a horrible case of 993itis?
Remedy for this horrible affliction is lots of very spirited driving. This is particularly the case w/ windy roads which can help the nausea and headaches. AutoX should help with the nasty rash too.
Have fun, enjoy and I almost forgot... a Rennlist membership will help with the those recurring bouts of sanity!!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Jeff A 993
Instructor

Hi --

I've had mine for just over a month.

The sickness will stay with you (in the best possible way).

Consider it a new hobby. And you'll learn a lot from this board.

I've fixed my AC, bought new wheels, drilled the airbox, added new factory exhaust tips, detailed the undercarriage, added real door speakers, fixed the front bumper holes.

And there is a huge list that will keep me going (suspension, rs front splitters, upgrade amplifier, etc).

Welcome, and best of luck on your drive!

-- Jeff
Old 05-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Don C
Racer

I live in So Calif and found my car in Denver. I had the PPI and pre-drive home maintenance (oil, belts, fuel filter) done by Eurosport Ltd. Small shop and great bunch of guys.

I picked my car up on a Thursday night, work done first thing Friday am, and we were on the road right after lunch. This was also my first Porsche and the guys went over everything with me I needed to know as a new owner - what gauges to watch, how to check the oil, got a spare DME, etc.

I arranged both the PPI and the work via a call.

Ask for Oren.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:10 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

343...Congratulations on a fine purchase. You will enjoy the get-to-gether time on the trip with your new 993, that's the best way to to start the relationship! When you get back, the local PCA has a lot of events and tours that are a lot of fun. If you need information, PM me. Welcome to the CLUB!

Quick Reply: Help! I am so SICK!