Sponsored by:

H&R driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 03:39 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Danny, sorry I didn't have the chance to meet you out there today. We were in the first caravan out of there today, before the second wave of flooding happened. My wife and I pretty much camped out in our X5 while the downpour continued for those 2+ hours. I guess we were all pretty fortunate that we didn't have to spend an extra 2 days there waiting to dry out!

We'll try again for the one in Semptember.

Glad you're enjoying your new setup...
Old 07-14-2002, 06:40 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Anir, I used the stock perches without any fitment problems. As a matter of fact the fitment issue was kind of the clincher for me over the PSS-9. While I have no doubts that the PSS-9 is a great system as you know I'm very happy with the way the H&R is setup. I'm not a very sophisticated driver I love driving the doors off my car but I feel that in order for me to exploit the limits of me and my car I have to learn how to do that and sticking to learning one setup instead of a combo will help me become a better driver. When i built my race car (yes the bug has bitten me very hard) I will be looking for an adjustable system but at that time it will be monoballs and the full works suspension setup which will not be suitable for the street anyway.
The only fear I had with the H&R was the street drivability but I can assure you it is smoother than stock so I'm really glad about that.
Regarding the inherent understeer I did one thing besides stressing to my mechanic that I wanted a balanced car. I run 17" still so I upgraded the fronts to 225's instead of the 205's and left the rears at 255. The whole package including the euro sways produced a very balanced car and I did not have a hint of understeer. When I kind of overcooked it a couple of times on turn 6 and turn 5 I drifted with steady throttle on all four and one time on turn 12 i had a hint of oversteer as I clearly went a bit over my head. On the S's before the straight where I used to notice the greatest understeer the car was always very neutral. I always liked very balanced cars, that is why I absolutely loved my 968 and thank God this setup makes me feel in control and I had no fear of suddenly having my rear end snap which at this stage I do not think I can catch...

If you are a driver at a more advanced stage and like playing with different setups probably the PSS-9 maybe your ticket. All is a personal preference I guess and I wish we were all somewhere close together so we could give a test drive on different setups and see which one suits our taste better... If anyone is in Houston area while I'm home I'll be glad to give them a test drive to see how they like my setup.

Matt sorry to have missed you as well, what a shame ha? I arrived while on the downpour and the track was closed. I waited in College Station for a couple of hours and when the rain stoped I went to the track only to be told that the day was cancelled! I was sooo dissapointed!!! I could hardly wait to play with the big boys out there!
You know it is a pitty every time it rains this tunnel gets flooded and we all get really screwed! The track owner...I'd like to have some words with him who takes all our money and does NOTHING to improve the track... On turn 7 yesterday we had another accident, a friend of mine who I brought on the track...this turn if you go off you are guaranteed to be with out a wheel, maybe roll over, damage heavily your car from all the boulders lurking around... what can I say! You think I should ask him for a refund??
Old 07-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DJ and Danny,

Thanks for the detailed replies. I have a better understanding of the whole PSS-9 design philosophy after reading DJ's post.

DJ, forgive me if you've posted this before, but did you go with the monoballs?
Old 07-14-2002, 09:47 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danny, yes, quite a shame. I arrived a few minutes before 7 and the tunnel was starting to look a little "deep". I went through without any problems, but I'm sure it wasn't passable 30 mins later. You should have seen the "ocean" forming in the paddock.

Anir, I seem to recall DJ posting that he does not have monoballs on his car.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:12 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[quote]Originally posted by Anir:
<strong>DJ, forgive me if you've posted this before, but did you go with the monoballs?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anir,

You are forgiven. Go forth and sin no more.

No monoballs.

Quick Reply: H&R driving impressions