Sponsored by:

cab roof fix, on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 09:59 PM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Cosmos, you leave your top open for the summer? Have you left your top open for a sustained duration?
Thanks
see post - down whenever I'm driving , up in the garage (or parked). If I were to go for an eight-hour drive, then it would be down for 8 hours - not sure if that’s "long duration" or not?

Edit: the point I was making is that I really have no need to DRIVE the car with the top closed in the summer. If it’s raining I won’t take the car out, and if it’s not raining the top will be down when I’m driving. Since this mean there’s never any driving-stress on the top, I don’t see what those pins could do for me other than mess with the top when I’m driving with it down.

Last edited by CosmosMoon; 05-19-2023 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:00 PM
Gator06
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMoon
Does anyone even know what these pins do? When the roof is down they seem to serve no purpose other than to wear holes in the top. When the roof is up they don't seem to do anything - they just sit there. I had assumed they engage into something when the roof is closed, but I was just checking it out and see that's not the case - they don't engage into anything. They don't seem to do anything when the top is closed. I unscrewed mine and put them in my door pockets since I'm only driving with the top down now that it's summer, and the roof closes fine w/o the pins when I put the car in the garage (I was planning on putting the pins back if I had to drive with the roof up, hence keeping them in the car, they are easy to unscrew and screw in by hand once you loosen the lock nut)

(I'm talking about these ones - see pic - not the ones in the front which obviously align and lock down the front edge)

That’s a great question. I watch these stupid pins like a hawk every time I put the top up/down and can’t figure out what they do.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:07 PM
ahhprods
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I’m going to look and if the pins touch the top, I think I’ll either put some gorilla tape or reinforce with convertible top mending glue where it touches. I have 2 small pin holes currently. I put a square of gorilla tape on the underside of those holes/tears a decade ago lol. Just finally bought proper mending glue to fix it, coming from Germany.

Thoughts on reinforcing the touch locations on the underside as a preventative?

Quick Reply: cab roof fix, on the cheap