Tire Wear Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tire Wear Questions

I’ve just had a set of SO3's put on my 18" Kinesis Supercup Wheels; 40x225 front and 30x285 rear, wheel widths are 8" and 10" respectively.

I took off a set of 996 twin turbo wheels that I bought new. They have Pirelli Pzeros fitted; 40x225 front and 30x295 rear, wheel widths are 8" and 11' respectively.

My question is whether the tire wear on the Pirelli is within normal limits, not as it relates to mileage but as it relates to evenness of wear across the surface of the tire. That is from the inside to the outside. The car is a 97 C2S which is not driven on the track.

Here are the measurements which I took with a tire tread depth gauge:

Front: right and left tires had the same readings:
inside–7/32
middle–9/32
outside–8/32

Rear: left

inside–5/32*
middle–6/32
outside–6/32

Rear: right
inside–4/32*
middle–6/32
outside-6/32
* indicates readings that don’t match from side to side.

Car handles fine although it looks like I could reduce front air pressure a little to even wear out but I don’t think for 1/32 of wear it’s worth it.

Since I just got new tires I’ve thought about an alignment, but I don’t think my tire wear is that bad. Am I right? I think an alignment would be a waste of money. Also my car is corner balanced.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:22 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

That looks like pretty good wear to me. I also had slightly more wear on the right rear than the left.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The wear looks pretty good to me as well. However, I would get an alignment and corner balance because you are going to a different set of wheels with different widths, weight and different rear tire size.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally posted by adsc4s
The wear looks pretty good to me as well. However, I would get an alignment and corner balance because you are going to a different set of wheels with different widths, weight and different rear tire size.
Just out of curiosity, what would changing wheel width, weight, and tire size have to do with alignment?

Cheers,
Old 05-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would get an alignment and corner balance because you are going to a different set of wheels with different widths, weight and different rear tire size.
I think I'm ok in that department because the new tires are on the set of wheels that the car was aligned and corner balanced orginally. When I got the twin turbo wheels I just put them on. I have 5K miles on the PZeros with the tire wear I outlined. That not much but I'm not complaining.

I need to measure the tread depth of the old S02s since they have about 5K miles on them too. I know have much more thread remaining than the PZeros, with the front S02s looking like they have almost full new thread depth.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:24 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Fred R. C4S
Just out of curiosity, what would changing wheel width, weight, and tire size have to do with alignment?

Cheers,
It is more for the corner balance but the differing wheels change the weight at all 4 corners and the differing tires could have a differing rolling radius.

Quick Reply: Tire Wear Questions