Sponsored by:

4-point belts and harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:54 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say be careful of ANY belt setup (4-, 5-, or 6-point) using the stock seats that don't have some type of cross-piece holding the shoulder belts togethe on your shoulders. The sloping sides of the seat can pull the shoulder belts off your shoulders in an incident. And make sure that the mounting or support point for the shoulder belts is at approx. shoulder height. Do NOT go up over the shoulder then down to the rear seat belt mount.

I have stock seats, but use a B-K stress bar to mount the belt to and the shoulder belts (Simpson) have a cross-piece on them holding the two shoulder bets together. This cross-piece goes between the seat and my neck.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:33 AM
KB993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it safe to install 4, 5 or six point belts in a car without installing a roll bar?
I have a friend who returned from a driving school and the instructors claimed in the event of a rollover, the other belts were more dangerous to the driver without the roll cage than the 3 point belts. His explanation was that with a 3 point belt, the driver would be able to slide to one side. With the other belts, the driver is pinned to the seatback which would increase the risk of injury if the roof collapses. This was the first time I ever heard of this and I was wondering the opinion of the board.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:39 AM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As part of the rebuild, I've switched from Sabelt 6-points to Schroth Profi II ASM 6-points in my Westfield. The Schroth webbing is far more pliable and consequently much more comfortable than the Sabelts, and the Schroth cam lock is also much lighter.

-John
Old 06-03-2004, 12:52 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by KB993
Is it safe to install 4, 5 or six point belts in a car without installing a roll bar?...
Yes - and No...! What happens without a roll-bar/truss, as someone posted - is that the belts will slide off the torso without a chest strap (joining the to shoulders). However - that's NOT the only problem. Since the anchor points are BELOW the top of the shoulders, on impact - if the shoulder restraints don't slide off - it compresses the spine, and at the same time as the spine is bending foward/back at impact. So there is a great chance of either breaking your neck - or snapping your spine, and several other internal organs can be collapsed if you don't break either your neck/spine first.

Also - do NOT use a harness bar as a "mount point"! A harness bar simply keeps the shoulder harnesses in the correct postition - and is not constructed to restrain the driver/passenger on impact. If you want a cross-sectional truss bar (which CAN be used as a mount point), then the BK Truss is hard to beat for DE or Auto-cross.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:00 PM
KB993
Intermediate

John,

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I'd opt for a 5 pt setup