Sponsored by:

question for M5 drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:25 AM
Mackenzie
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default question for M5 drivers

I have a 993 c2 '95. i love it but looking for something new. friend is selling his m5 (dinan s2 modified) and i have heard/read this is something special.

i test drove the a M5 this wknd and found it to feel big (which was my biggest concern). It was only for 10 mins w/ a sales guy next to me, but was hoping for all those people on this board who own/ or have experience w/ the M5.

sorry if this has been covered but i did look and was unsuccessful with the archive search.

It took me a couple of months to find the "magic" of the 993 that everyone talked about so maybe i am a slow learner. So i wonder if i need to give the M5 the benefit of the doublt since this car is such a reputation.

Again very interested in those who can compare the 2 uncomparable cars (993 and m5) and any other issues and thoughts.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:35 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A local car enthusiast (and a friend) wrote a very nice comparison between his M5 and his 996TT:

http://www.heumann.com/comparo/index.html

Although a 996TT is definitely not a 993, I thought that his write-up about the comparison might help you
Old 05-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 550 Posts

I purchased my C4S from a guy that switched to an M5. He said that he really needed the extra space. About two months later he called me asking whether I'd sell him the 993 back - guess the extra space wasn't that important (actually I think he was having mechanical problems with the M5). The big difference between cars like the M5 or my Audi S4 and the 993 is the lack of torque on the 993. I store my C4S for the winter and it takes me a couple of days to get used it when I switch back from the Audi in the Spring. I have considered taking the jump to a TT and that's clearly my plan for next year.

Another consideration is clearly residual value retention. I believe that 993 values have bottomed out and should stay fairly stable for the future. You already know where M5 values will be going - just a thought.

Quick Reply: question for M5 drivers