Love my new engine antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Love my new engine antenna

Although I love my new 993, there's one thing I miss about my '87 Carrera, and that is the relatively raucous engine noises. Don't get me wrong, the 993 (especially with Supercups) sounds great, but I miss all the whirring, whistling, and the "dragging a chain out of a trashcan" sound of the G50.

Well, now it's all back! All I had to do was install a DAS roll bar. I couldn't believe how much engine noise it transmits through the four attachment points. Love it!

Install a DAS roll bar and you, too, can bring more lovely sounds into your cabin.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Will:

Glad to hear that you are having fun,....

Installing the solid RSR tranny & engine mounts will certainly fill in the missing "soundtrack",......
Old 05-18-2004, 02:26 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

The RSR mounts are firm rubber, but not really solid, correct Steve?

Regardless, install the 993RS motormounts, not quite as stiff as the RSR mounts, add in the 993 RS tranny mount, the 993RS flywheel and clutch, the 993RS shifter rod, ..you'll have some nice mechanical noise.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:52 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but what does changing the engine mounts actually do for the car? from what you are saying it obviously seems to increase the engine sound by reverberating through the body work, what other benefits are there?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:09 AM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got the RS motor mounts, FW, clutch, etc. Maybe that's why it sounds so good.

Regardless, it's the DIFFERENCE in sound (before DAS and after) that was so noticeable. When I first drove it after the install, I thought something had gone wrong in the engine compartment - all new sounds.

I'm also interested in the answer to Gabi's question - what is the advantage of these motor mounts? A more responsive throttle (i.e., less drive train slop)?

Will
Old 05-18-2004, 08:20 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Default Cars Looks and Sounds Great!

Will, you always score the "BIG ONE" when it comes to cars. First you get to have lunch with the Tiki God of Porsches and then you get hooked up with the sweet 993. I talked to Matt last night and he wants to test drive you car again(better drive back out to Cali so we can pounce on the Point and Seca).

Is there a way I can jack up the car and see what kind of mounts I have? Would you know one from another? Is it important to have on a track only car?

Also, can you guys talk more about necessary suspension pieces for a 993 track beast? Can I tell if I have the bump steer piece, do I need ERP goodies etc. TIA
C
Old 05-18-2004, 11:48 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GabiOsz
Excuse my ignorance, but what does changing the engine mounts actually do for the car? from what you are saying it obviously seems to increase the engine sound by reverberating through the body work, what other benefits are there?
less slop in the drivetrain so tighter shifting, better handling
Old 05-18-2004, 12:05 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I use solid mounts on the engine (tranny mount won't work on a C4S or a Turbo) and I love them. Much more solid shifting. As far as gear noise or noise transmission with the DAS bar, I don't hear a thing... Other than my exhaust that is...
Old 05-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

CMM,

Why do I score the cool cars? Two simple reasons: I'm old and I'm slow.

Regarding the motor mounts, I must say that this 993 has a much more solid and precise shifting and throttle feel than the '97 Carrera S I used to have (which was stock). Hard to separate out the motor mount difference from the other mods (LWF/clutch, euro gearbox...).
Old 05-18-2004, 01:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Will
... I'm old and I'm slow. ...
Will, now that I've met you and ridden with you, I can say that you're definitely not old.

The new car sounds great! Have you tracked it yet? Posted pics?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, Eric! Great to hear from you, and .... verrrrry funny.

[Eric got a ride with me at the Audi Club event at Grattan recently, which was my last event with my '87 Carrera, now sold to a buddy. I also got to ride with him in his beautiful (and well prepared) cab - we had a blast.]

So anyway, yes, I've taken the new beast on the track. I had it at Waterford Hills last week, with stock tires, soft PSS-9 settings, street pads, etc., just cruising a bit between instructing stints. Didn't get a chance to "trackify" the car before the event, so I still don't know how it will perform when everything's ready. Nonetheless, the car ran well, sounded great, and did admirably considering the stock tires. By the next event (Mid-Ohio at the end of May), I'll have the roll bar, Sparco Evos, Schroth harnesses, Pagid pads, Fikse Profil 10's, and MPSC footwear. I'm having a performance alignment and corner balance done as we speak. Can't wait to get it on the track with all this done.

I'll post some pics once the new shoes are on.

What's your next event?

Last edited by Will; 05-18-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:19 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Next up is Road America next weekend, then Gingerman in June and Mid-Ohio in July.

p.s. thanks again for the lesson in trail braking. I've been working on it, and it's actually been a lot of fun! Not sure yet if it's making me any faster, but it's a good challenge.

Quick Reply: Love my new engine antenna