Sponsored by:

'95 993, running hot and more?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:20 PM
p73rs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question '95 993, running hot and more?

Hi. I think the oil temp of my 993 runs high during stop and go traffic. I just moved to Central CA from WA and started to notice that. It runs about the 9:30 position on the oil temp gauge. By the way, it runs fine on freeway (at about the 8:00 position).

The thermostat and the fan seem to work fine. What do you think?

I have got one more. I have had this 993 for about 2 years. I like it vert much. But, I hear something like the following sometimes:

...contrary to the popular belief, '95 993 is a good for 993,

'95 is very different from the later ones (it sounds negative to me.), and

so on.

I know it does not have the Varioram nor the suspension/body technology adapted from the TURBO (is that right?).

What is the difference between 95' and the later ones?

I am a new member to this forum. These questions might have been asked in the past already, but I just wanted to ask around.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

First off, you may want to have a look at the front of the oil cooler to verify its clean and no leaves or plastic bags stuck to it etc.

Make sure the fan is working properly, both low and high speed. I think on p-car.com, there is a way to jumper the fan relay socket to check that the fan resistors are still in tact. These resistors are a VERY common failure point. A search of the archives will shed more light on that.

Next, you may want to disconnect the oil temp sensor (the one to trigger the fan), located on the top of the oil cooler itself. Just unplug the two-wire connector and the fan will run on 'high' all the time. Drive the car your normal route and note any temp delta. This connector is easily accessed by removing the passenger side headlight assy.

Other than that, verify correct oil level and condition. Others I am sure will chime in with other ideas..

Let us know what you find!!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:28 PM
ingo777
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well must say I see that very often here, temps around 90F, stop and go gives me same indication... as soon as I hit the Expressway I see it in the 8 fifteen position. Dont think its cause for concern, what are the temps over there now? And how much stop and go was it?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those temps are not unusual at all. You may want to look at p-car.com as Chris said and add the diy oil fan switch - you can then manually turn the fan to high speed when your stuck in traffic. The factory setting for the high speed fan operation is something like 240 degrees. Another thing to remember, the oil should get above 212 degrees once in a while in order to evaporate any water that has condensed in the oil. As far as the my95 goes - it's great! Easier to chip, no cel problems, and I could afford it (barely).
Old 05-18-2004, 12:44 AM
p73rs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, during the stop and go traffic, the oil temp goes to around 9:30 when the ambient temp is as low as in the 70's on the F scale. But, it is still at the same 9:30 when the ambient temp is around 100's.

I have done the testing of the fan by jumping the terminals on the relay. Both low and high speeds turned on fine. Also, I let the car sit with engine running at idle for a while. The fan came on at the oil temp of around the 9:30 position. But, I am not sure if that was low or fast on the speed. With the fan on, it maintain the temp at the 9:30 position, though. It is consistent with the situation of stop and go traffic above.

The oil cooler area seems to be clear of obstacles.

I am just curious how the other 993's are doing.

How about yours?
Old 05-18-2004, 05:19 AM
ingo777
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gonna check that on mine now, now I´m concerned too.... in stop and go mine remains at the 9 position though, that I already checked and I can hear the fan turning but cant tell if its in high.... Temperature drops when car is moving again.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked about this a few weeks ago and got a lot of good responses. When I was at Hershey, I checked my oil and noticed I was about 1 qt. down. For some reason, after I added a qt., it ran a little cooler. I did replace my fan resistor a few mos. ago. I also had a shop read my codes with the Porsche tester this past weekend. So I know everything is working. When sitting in traffic when it's hot out, my car get to 9:00 pretty quickly, but it stays there. This weekend I have a DE and it will probably be warm. So this will be the test. I'm very curious as to how hot it will get.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I have asked and read a lot about this too. IMHO the short answers are as follows:

1. There is likely some variation in gauge accuracy and typical gauge readings, so don't panic if your gauge reads differently from another 993's gauge.

2. If you are uncomfortable with the typical readings on your gauge, the "quick fix" is the DIY manual fan switch described on Robin's site. I can vouch that this works extremely well for hotter oil temps caused by stop and go traffic. I would suspect it is less useful in high-speed driving due to cavitation, etc., but even w/o the fan my car runs very cool at speed so I can't confirm that.

(Instead of a manual switch, some people have jumpered the blower relay so that whenever the blower is signaled to turn on it comes on at high speed. This did not work well for me.)

3. The "best fix" is probably the Cargraphics GT auxillary cooler, very well engineered but expensive.

If anybody disagrees or wants to add to this please chime in, but this question comes up a lot so I thought a quick summary might be helpful.

Quick Reply: '95 993, running hot and more?