Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Porsche 993 C2 X51 - why buy it? why not buy others?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023 | 08:09 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

During my search for a 993, I came across several cars (in Europe):
- 993 C2 X51 3.8L non varioram (short ratio gearbox) : mileage somewhat reasonable (97k miles), condition looked well, rather well equipped (hard back sports seats, front turbo bumper (which I am not the biggest fan of)). Did not get the car because the seller ghosted me after telling me he was OK to sell the car. Oh well, it was not meant to be and I was not too upset about it. I assume the torque increase due to the bigger displacement would be a welcome improvement in normal driving and moderately spirited driving. And you keep the power bump at higher engine rpm whereas varioram is more linear, which is a trait I like of this engine.
- 993 C2 3.6L varioram (short ratio gearbox) : higher mileage (112k miles), car was in OK condition not the best. Did not follow up because I found the 3rd car in the meantime.
- 993 C2 3.6L non varioram (short ratio gearbox) : lowest mileage of the three (65 kmiles), excellent condition and history, great specs and equipments. I drove the car in South Alps, the engine is strong, the steering is a delight, suspension is compliant but very little to no roll in corners. The car is just great to drive. As someone posted on RL, Varioram or not Varioram is less important than having a non varioram car in very good condition (and in the specs and options that you like). I am not a racing driver and the performance of my 993 C2 non varioram is more than enough. So I would choose a non varioram 3.6L 993 which has very good history and condition versus a non varioram 3.8L X51 993 which has more miles and/or is less equipped for the same price.
The following users liked this post:
Jsancho007 (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023 | 06:12 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

So I would choose a non varioram 3.6L 993 which has very good history and condition versus a non varioram 3.8L X51 993 which has more miles and/or is less equipped for the same price.
Are you sure not to be Sherlock? 😉
So well said and wise, it's the car condition to speak and the situation too: the purchase is an experience not just about the car itself, but also the seller plays an important role.

I recently met a 65+ y.o. Porsche enthusiast and Happy 1st owner of a beautiful polar silver m.y. 95 993, such a rare thing the situation of joining someone who appreciated the 993 from before and then he couldn't separate from it, it's rare.
His 993 was amazing beautiful, "wearing" a special aura, such cars to me are not just keepers, but are family cars, something like the Pulp Fiction clock.

My personal point of view now is slightly different from the one I had 10 years ago: back then I was for preserved, cured, original, well maintained 993s, not that now I am not, but maybe because I can now see a bit more through I could consider almost at kind of equal level the options the car has, since to me the value of a well optioned (with the desired stuff within the car from Factory) but not perfect 993 is the same as the one of a Garage Queen 993 with the wrong options: modifying is nice, but takes the car away from originality, while high mileage but good optioned, can always be taken back to as brand new conditions, and in this case you know for sure what is sitting in your garage.
So now I would also consider an honest, high mileage, but well optioned 993.

Yesterday I saw a black targa at the Techno Classica in Essen, next to an amazing Rubystone 964 RS Clubsport, and wow...if you check this video out, how can't we remain astonished facing such an outrageous expression of beauty?

View this post on Instagram

Approximately about after 7 minutes from the beginning of this video, there is a wonderful black targa panther! 🖤

What a nice company these 2 sisters in the garage together

Are we sure we want to name this "narrow body"?

Best company

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 04-13-2023 at 06:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 1995 Porsche 993 C2 X51 - why buy it? why not buy others?