Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotate tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023 | 07:57 PM
GJSPIN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
I agree as the testing environments may vary between tire manufacturers and the track their testing lab uses. Also, marketing imperatives may also influence published test results.
I would say if one expects a meaningful difference in service life for a tire with a UTOG rating of say 300 versus 400 they may be barking up the wrong tree for the above reasons. However, a tire rated at 400 versus 150 is probably going to show a significant tire service life difference even across tire brands & manufacturers.

"The Department of Transportation (DOT) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) developed the Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) standard to provide consumers with information to make
an informed decision during tire purchase. All tires sold from 1979 are required to have a UTQG marking on the sidewall. UTQG markings are not required for deep-treaded light truck tires, winter/snow tires,
temporary spare tires, trailer tires, and tires under 12-inches in diameter. Some other exceptions may exist. The UTQG marking consists of treadwear, traction, and temperature."

Andy
However, a tire rated at 400 versus 150 is probably going to show a significant tire service life difference even across tire brands & manufacturers.

I wish it was that simple and easy to decimate. Even Consumers Report did a piece on such how tire companies will use such grading for marketing purposes with their own line. But using your example, I have a BMW with Bridgestone R050A and 140 treadwear and another vehicle with Goodyear F1's A/S noting a 500 treadwear. The Bridgestone's don't wear any faster than the Goodyears do.

Quick Reply: Rotate tires?