Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Locking differential option and inferior fuel....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally posted by TrackJunke
I jacked up my car and turned one wheel and the other turned in the opposite direction. Is this a sign of the diff being worn out? Is my "locking diff" just porsche's way to say limited slip?
This sounds like you don't have an LSD. With LSD, both wheels turn together and I would think that if the LSD is worn, then the other wheel would remain stationary while you turn the one. Could be that it's not the original tranny/diff for the car. Or maybe I'm wrong - maybe a worn diff will counter-rotate - anyone?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:25 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I just realized that when I was turning the one wheel it was out of gear. That is when the other wheel spun in the other direction. I did it with the car in gear and the other wheel did not budge. I think my LSD is shot. Oh well, time for an upgrade I guess.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:50 AM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Greg. I was gonna ask further about why diff lockup is good in deceleration until I ran across this great writeup:

http://eaglewoman.racesimcentral.com...ehelp/diff.htm

Anyone wanting to know about diffs and racing and how different setups work differently, this is a good read IMHO.

Brad

Quick Reply: Locking differential option and inferior fuel....