Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 95 Cab - Durametric and overrevs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 06:03 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Considering 95 Cab - Durametric and overrevs?

Are the overrevs stored and readable on a ‘95 Carrera?

Found a very nice 1995 Cabriolet that I’m considering (even though has a CarFax “side damage from highway sign” in 1998 dang it) and am about to check it out in person. This would be my first 993 so I’m trying to be careful. I will have a PPI done if we agree on price.

I have a Durametric that I use on my 968. I am going to ask the owner if I can review engine codes when I see the car but I cannot tell if it is possible to read engine overrevs (or even if they are stored) as the Durametric site says it reads “ME2.1 for 1994-1995 (Engine)”.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:07 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Answering my own question after a second look. From Durametric site:

“Please note that abuse information is available on Boxster, 996, 997, and Cayman. There is no abuse information available on Cayenne, 993, and 964. The Model Feature Matrix page provides information on Durametric’s compatibility by Porsche model.”

Other purchase pointers appreciated.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:41 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

I don't even know when over-revs became a 'thing' - I wouldn't worry about it - a 993 cab isn't the sort of car that's been likely to be thrashed around.
Is it an auto?

993s (without accident damage) can rust in basically just two places - end of chassis legs, which you can't see, and around the windshield, which you can. If the car has lived in NorCal and/or garaged all it's life I doubt there'll be any, but with your finger lift up the rubber that surrounds the front windshield and check it's all ok underneath - not guaranteed to find any deep issue, but the tell-tale signs are usually there.

If there's rust anywhere else, I'd be very wary.

Easy stuff for you to check from a test-drive - does it start well, oil pressure at 4+, does it settle down quickly to idle smoothly (at around 800+), and WHEN it's up to temp and the thermostat is open, on a flat/level surface, idling, is it showing oil on the level gauge, and idle pressure around 2.

Again an easy one - looking at the tire age and condition can tell you useful stuff - old tires backs up low mileage, and also shows the car was driven gently.

Apart from that, if you don't have any normal mechanical knowledge to rely on, if it looks ok a PPI would be a good idea.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:44 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Hi M Ferris,
Two items to check with the OBDC:
All the emmissions readiness flags are in a pass state and
The engine running hours seems reasonable for the number of miles on the example:
More on this here:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...-purchase.html
Andy

Quick Reply: Considering 95 Cab - Durametric and overrevs?