Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsd

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 02:17 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got some time after last weekends event to lift up the car and do some detailed inspection of the rear wheel areas and of the two sets of rear tires used that weekend.

I was somewhat duped into believing that the right rear tires were failing and the left side was not. I went back and checked some previous tire photo's I took from Laguna and Buttonwillow and determined that I have had more inner edge rear tire failure since I changed to the cup suspension. Other tracks like Sears, Pahrump, and even Willow did not present this type of problem. I also have it on the left side. Let me explain. I looked at the two sets of tires used last weekend. Both rear sets were new. One set had 5 30 minutes sessions on them and the other had 2 30 minutes sessions. The first set (5 sessions) had a tire tear apart on the rear right inside edge. Nothing bad since I was watching it after each session and catch it in the pits without incident. Last event (2 months ago at the speedway) I had the tire go flat coming out of turn 2 and completely fold up. It caused a fair amount of rubbing on the inside wheel area thus it was hard to determine if the tire failed or I just had a puncture and the tire folded. So looking in the rear right side did not show anything new this past weekend since there was rubbing marks there from before. Since the left side was not having issue this event or the last event at the California Speedway I did not check over the last event weekend closely, but today I noticed some rubbing marks at the top and slight rub toward the rear in the inside of the wheel well. Inspecting the 2 session rear left tire showed some interesting inner edge wear that was a slight groove forming on the inside edge. Inspecting the other rear set ( 5 session) showed a slightly more grooved tire due to the number of sessions. Looking at the rear right tire that failed showed the same sort of pattern even though it was difficult to see since the tire split at the spots that were more deeply grooved.

What I have determined from this information is since I changed the suspension and since it is slightly lower than before, I get some rubbing on the inner edge of the rear tires while under some heavy load. Turn 1 and 2 at california speedway, riverside at Buttonwillow (left side tire failure there), and the california speedway again for the rear right. These Pirelli's are a bit tall, 25.39" so the rear might be just a bit low and need to be raised. I could over course use a smaller diameter tire as well I suppose.

This thread started with a question about the LSD contributing. It is entirely possible that is a contributor but I think the rubbing is far more likely to be the culprit. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Lsd