bolts for bolt-in-roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 03:52 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post bolts for bolt-in-roll bar

I bought a bolt-in roll bar (not a DAS). And i'm trying to figure out where to get longer bolts. It bolts/anchors in at the rear seat belt holes and the pillars (i think they are called D pillars) where the top of the front seat belts are mounted. My roll bar is made by hugo, it is made out of aluminum and didn't come with any bolts. Does anyone have a good suggestion on where to get longer anchor bolts?

Thanks,
Boris
Old 02-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Boris,

Just be certain that you have all the specs on the bar as to the specific type of aluminum it is made from, the tubing wall thickness,etc. These questions wikll come up if you are going to get the bar OK'd for use at the track. You may have to drill a small hole in the bar to demostrate tubing wall diameter.

Anchoring into the B pillars where the front seat belts anchor, and also into the rear seat belt anchors is a great idea. Where did you get the bar??? I don't have a source for bolts in the Bay Area...although I'll bet you could find a source on your own if your were to ramble around the many shops (The Racers Group) located at Sears Point Raceway.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:03 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Boris, I know that bolt head is a 17mm, but I am not sure of the threads. I am pretty sure though that all seat belt bolts have to be the same universal SAE thread though whether its a german or US car, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement.

When I went searching for new seat mounting bolts, I ultimately found what I needed at a metal supply house. You will want to use the yellow pages to look for metal working shops or metal fabrication shops. Then you will need to call them and ask them for the number of their bolt and hardware supply house. Then find the one that sounds like the biggest and remove that bolt from the B pillar that holds the upper seat belt pivot and take it with you to the supply hose. They will match the threads and ask you how long you need it. Be precise on your length measurement as there is only so much room on the back side of the B pillar for that to secure - I would imagine you want it the length of the current bolt plus the thickness of the roll bar mounting plate. Oh yea, also, you NEED to get grade 8 or better. Grade 8 is SAE (USA) and I forget what the metric equivelent is, but you want to make sure you get that. Even if they have to special order them - wait. The regular grade bolts are not designed for <a href="http://www.crownbolt.com/html/bolt_grades.html" target="_blank">high stress applications</a>.

Now that that is out of the way, I would be interested to read about this bar. Do you have a link or anything to it? I will reserve judgement on the safety of it until after I read about it.

Good luck,
Old 02-11-2003, 01:49 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the info guys... I got the roll bar from FVD. It is a European company and is a real high end roll bar. It is certified for all European track use as well and the sales rep from FVD told me it would meet all US track reqs. What makes it a bit pricey is two fold: Light weight only 12lbs and true bolt-in (no holes). I'll need to install it soon, so I'll take some pictrues when I get it in.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 02-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the bar made by Heigo?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Boris Teksler:
<strong>Thanks for the info guys... I got the roll bar from FVD. It is a European company and is a real high end roll bar. It is certified for all European track use as well and the sales rep from FVD told me it would meet all US track reqs. What makes it a bit pricey is two fold: Light weight only 12lbs and true bolt-in (no holes). I'll need to install it soon, so I'll take some pictrues when I get it in.

Cheers,
Boris</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Only 12 lbs!? That sounds great!

No way I'm looking for DAS bar anymore!

I need to speak with Theo (at FVD) when I get my car back from them!
Old 02-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Ted Brewer
Advanced

If you have the FVD Heigo bar you might want to double check regarding PCA approval. I believe the tubing diameter may be smaller than PCA requires. If you confirm either way, I think many folks would be interested in the answer so please post. Thanks.

Ted
Old 02-12-2003, 03:53 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It is quite possibly a Heigo. They only had three of these made as they were a custom order. I know that they sold all three (I got the second to last). It is unbelievably lightweight, but I'll confirm the PCA approval.

Cheers,
Boris

Quick Reply: bolts for bolt-in-roll bar