Idle Stabilizer Valve (ISV) Cleanout

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Idle Stabilizer Valve (ISV) Cleanout

Hello everyone,

To smooth the cold start idle I decided to clean the Idle Stabilizer Valve. I closely follow the instruction found at DYI section of p-cars.com web site ( <a href="http://p-car.com/diy/isv/" target="_blank">http://p-car.com/diy/isv/</a> )
Unfortunately it was not mentioned which particular product to use to spray into the Idle Stabilizer Valve to clean it. It was just mentioned about some "...brake cleaner that's really volatile..."
Well. I've got the following product:
GUMOUT Carb And Choke Cleaner - Jet Spray.
I sprayed this thing onto piece of fabric to check how volatile it is...it appears not volatile at all..and secondly ..it looks like it leaves some coat of oil (?) behind...but i am not sure about it...There is a note on the can which describes how to use it. It says :
"....
WITH ENGINE OFF:
Carburetor: Remove the air cleaner and clean the outside of thecorburator and all of the linkage. Avoid spraying electrical connections.
MANIFOLD HEAT CONTROL: Spray on exposed ends of the cool heat riser shaft. Allow to penetrate and clean. Move counterweight up and down un till free...
WITH ENGINE RUNNING:
Carburetor: Spray to both ebnds of the choke valve shaft while working choke by hand. Spray down and arround the carburetor throat to remove the deposits from the throttle plate area. DO NOT SPRAY DOWN CARBURETOR THROAT WITH ENGINE OFF. DO NOT SPRAY BELOW THROTTLE PLATE.
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR FUEL INJECTED VEHICLES. USE GUMOUT AIR INTAKE AND THROTTLE BODY CLEANER INSTEAD...."

Well. Because i removed the ISV from the engine...I think it doesn't matter what the note on the can says..? Can i proceed with the cleaning?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi:

That stuff will be OK.

The other Gumout product would be better though, as you are trying to flush out a buildup of liquid and baked-on oil inside there that makes the valve sluggish. Flush it thoroughly in both openings until the solvent comes out clear.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Thanks Steve!

I just made another attempt to check the vapor qualities of this product...and it does definitely leave some kind of coat on the surface to which it has been applied.
I assume that coat may accelerate the deposit of dirt on the inside surfaces of the ISV.
It would be great if some specific product's name would be mentioned ...something that has been used to clean ISV for a while with success...rather then trying to check the new/unknown one...the one I've got from store...
=(
Thanks again~
Old 02-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that guy used brake cleaner.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:36 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
While we are on the topic, does the process change any for a 95 vs. Robin's 96? I printed out the DIY and plan on attacking that next w/e, but wonder if the 95 is different?
Old 02-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I used Valvoline carb cleaner. That appeared pretty volatile and didn't seem to leave a coating on the ISV. Sure left quite a residue on my driveway where I flushed the ISV out, though. Hard to imagine all that gunk was in there. No wonder my idle was so rough and it was so easy to kill the engine in reverse.

Didn't realize getting the hoses on and off the ISV would be such a bitch though.

Brett
Old 02-10-2003, 03:08 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by JPS:
<strong>While we are on the topic, does the process change any for a 95 vs. Robin's 96? I printed out the DIY and plan on attacking that next w/e, but wonder if the 95 is different?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The '95's are easier, because it's easier to access the ISV. The varioram gets in the way on the 96+ cars.

Otherwise, the procedure is the same.

Tom
'95 993

Quick Reply: Idle Stabilizer Valve (ISV) Cleanout