Sponsored by:

brass in oil. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:43 PM
simonrs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brass in oil. Help!

I found some tiny metal particles on the dipstick when I checked the oil last week. My dealer had the oil tested and it was clean. We replaced oil and filters with Castrol R, and checked it again. Same problem. After much head scratching we established the following. The particles are gold in colour (brass?), non magnetic, and attach themselves to the dipstick when it is oil covered. If you insert the dipstick to the oil tank fitting but not into the oil itself there are still particles on the stick. Our deduction is that the problem is caused by the brass fitting which is the inlet to the oil tank. It is being scraped by the dipstick on the way in to the tank we believe, probably because it is misaligned. We tried three other 993's in the dealership at the time, and each of them displayed the same problem of particles on the dipstick. This seems odd to say the least. So guys, help! Is this really a common problem? And how do we fix it? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Simon, the phenomena you describe has been explained as harmless several times, here is one good explanation.

Hope you sleep better now, I know the feeling when you are worried about your 993.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:44 PM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bob D.
Simon, the phenomena you describe has been explained as harmless several times, here is one good explanation.

Hope you sleep better now, I know the feeling when you are worried about your 993.
Thanks for the great link! This is good to know.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:47 AM
simonrs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bob! I feel much better about the problem. Still cant believe Porsche could let these cars out in the market with such a fault. Turns out that the Porsche Australia "on the quiet" recommendation is to never use the dipstick, only the gauge. I suppose this sort of negates the issue.
Rgds
Old 05-12-2004, 06:51 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by simonrs
Porsche Australia "on the quiet" recommendation is to never use the dipstick, only the gauge. Rgds
Have to agree, Simon. I never use the dipstick, and have never seen filings when checking the oil .....

Cheers, Maurice

Quick Reply: brass in oil. Help!