Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to mount amps in trunk??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004 | 10:29 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Default Best way to mount amps in trunk??

I'm progressing with my stereo install (very slowly) and trying to figure out the best way to mount my amps in the trunk (they won't fit under the seats).

I'm using 2 Helix amps (perhaps a third) that are approx 8"W x 13"L x1"H - I'd like to mount them in a way that I can still put light things in the trunk (ie. small gym bag or car cover) and also get to the spare tire or battery if necessary.

What have others done? Any pictures of creative mounting mechanisms or amp racks in this area?

Thanks much.
Old 05-11-2004 | 12:29 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

You should contact Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations, he's very knowledgeable about putting components into 911s.

Here's a link to a dual-amp installation he did where a custom panel was covered in factory carpeting and installed in the trunk of a 993; I'm sure he can provide details.

http://caraudioinnovations.com/insta...rent%20993.htm

Vic
95 C2
Old 05-11-2004 | 02:48 AM
DrZ
Racer

I mounted a very large Brax Graphic and a cylindrical IPC against the back wall in the same plane as the gas tank. Does not impede access to spare and takes out least amount of trunk space. Crossovers and EQs are mounted beneath carpet over the passenger side wheel and do not effect the storage area of the trunk. Pics may still be in the archives.

Wouldn't the third Helix fit under passenger seat after removing the Nokia?
Old 05-11-2004 | 04:00 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Another option - if you are willing to give up your rear seats for a rear seat delete kit, you can mount amps on the underside of the RSD...you will still be able to use the storage bins and also keep weight closer to the center of the car which will compromise handling less.
Old 05-11-2004 | 11:20 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

DrZ,
I've searched for your pictures but can't locate them; can you email them to me or perhaps reference the link? (email address is rfairwea@yahoo.com).
How did you secure the amp rack to the car?
Thanks much,
Rick

Quick Reply: Best way to mount amps in trunk??