Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to overhaul my LSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 08:12 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts
I rebuilt my LSD last year on my 90,000 mile '95 993. Disks were in decent condition, but I replaced with fresh factory disks - cost me around $250 if memory serves me right. Did it 'cause I was already in there, so can't comment on it being a DIY...

Also, no discernable difference felt on the track after LSD re-fresh - guess original disks were still in decent shape...

Old 02-08-2003, 09:28 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<strong>

(snip)

I have a Guard TBD in my race car and it has never had any problems but may upgrade later this year to a ZF diff.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Hi Greg:

If you install the clutch type, instead of your Torque Biasing diff, you will be amazed at the difference,......

Use either the Guard Transmission one or one of the Motorsport diff's and you'll be pleased.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Steve,
Thanks for the encouragement, my wife *really* appreciates it. LOL!

I bought my RS gear box with the TBD already installed so it was basically a freebie. Going to put the TBD in the street car and get a real dif for the race car.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:48 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts
can anyone post some pics of the stock 993 LSD, preferably disassembled? Are these 'stock' LSD's the ramp type differential? If so, are there optional ramps that can be purchased? These can make a HUGE difference to how the car handles (accel and decel), mostly on a track where the limits are raised.

I am curious to what these diffs look like.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Chris:

I'm sorry I do not have pics to share but I can tell you about some things.

The 993 LSD's have 2 plates per side and either 25/65 or 22/40 assymetrical lockup. This is one reason why they do not last long and do not put the power down like the Motorsports ones do.

The Motorsport LSD's have 4 plates per side and 40/65 lockup,......big improvement! The lockup is much better, they last FAR longer, and the transitions from power-on to power-off are much more consistent as these stabilize the chassis better.

Quick Reply: How to overhaul my LSD