Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Horn Sounding When Turn Wheel?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Horn Sounding When Turn Wheel?!?

My car has suddenly developed a strange problem. To date I have had no horn problems at all, but I came out from a restaurant this morning and got in my car, and as soon as I began to turn the wheel off dead center the horn would sound--loudly!

It has not been sounding when going over bumps or at any other unwanted time--until now it has only sounded when I pushed on the horn pad. Now, anything off dead center and it sounds until I return the wheel to dead center again. I couldn't even back out of the parking lot until removing 15 amp fuse #3 for the horn (very handy to have the fusebox diagram pasted on the back of the fusebox lid)!

Does this sound like the horn pad contact problem described in this thread? I'm not sure, since my horn sounds only when the steering wheel is turned, not under the conditions described in the thread....

Any help *greatly* appreciated!
Old 05-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm sure it's the contact problem.. really easy to fix.. Take apart wheel and airbag.. (don't disconnect airbag, as you will have to reset system.) when you have exposed contacts, there are 4 aluminum parts (contacts) swaged onto a steel plate.. find the one which has come off and either swage it back or remove it completely thus leaving 3 functioning contacts....

Coleman
Old 05-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Thanks Coleman!

For Coleman or anybody who has done this, just to clarify step #1, does the front/outer airbag cover just pry off? If so, any particular way? Mine seems fastened quite tightly.

And, how necessary is it to disconnect the battery for this repair?

TIA
Old 05-08-2004, 06:24 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes to stabilize the system. There are two torx screws that have to be disconnected which is a minor PIA-need a long driver to get in there.

Al
Old 05-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

there are some torx screws behind the airbag pad, remove them from the rear, then pry off the airbag pad...

C/
The following users liked this post:
Roberto Stella (11-26-2022)
Old 05-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Wanted to update this thread to help somebody else in the future.

It was not the horn contacts in my case causing this problem, but rather the "spiral spring assembly." It was fixed by the dealer via replacement of "airbag contact ring part #996-652-213-00." It required, they said, removal of the wheel and airbag assemblies.

Very nice feeling to have the horn working again, it really is something of a safety feature when driving a lowered sports car in the world of SUVs!

Last edited by Bob D.; 05-15-2004 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Horn Sounding When Turn Wheel?!?