Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease buyout negotiation - update

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 07:56 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer will probably try to retail the car at the end of the lease if you do not buy the car. After a few weeks or months of trying (they might even put it on E-Bay) depending on how they think the market will be locally, the car will put to auction. A '95 with 60K is no prize at Manheim. It will probably wholesale about 30K. Their easiest option is to sell to you. Profit is their most important product, not your car. Hurry up, have we got a deal for you is a great used car ploy.

There are plenty of cars out there. Eventually when you sell it you will find out that there is nothing special about it based on the mileage. If the car had half this mileage, it would be far more desirable. The higher mileage will either delay the sale or force you to take less money then you expect.

I suggest keep the car if and only if you think this is "THE" Porsche for you. This takes into account the condition of the car and repairs as you know them right now. In other words, if you are totally happy and thrilled with it based on the color, condition and options then keep it. Decision over. Otherwise, tell them to renegotiate a buy out next month or take the car back. You have time to make a decision, but not much.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the decision is made -- I told them I'll take it for the $31.5K, though I don't have the paperwork yet. I really love the car. I've maintained it like the nut I am, and it's in beautiful shape. It's a consistent local PCA (Long Island) 2nd place Concours trophy winner, even though I've done a few track days. It's black on black, and the paint shows none of the usual swirls that black is famous for. It has 17" Cups, new tires, full leather, hi-fi with CD, full power seats, the usual other stuff and, interestingly, sunroof-delete. I bought it with 34K three years ago, and it now has 50K. Nothing squeaks or rattles, and the interior shows virtually NO wear, not even on the driver's seat bolster -- I always make sure to avoid rubbing it as I get in/out.

Obviously, I know the car inside and out, and as far as I know, it needs nothing service-wise, except the wiring harness recall -- I'm waiting for the frozen tundra here in Ithaca to thaw first.

I've been looking at cars, new and used, over the past few months. There is no new car I'd rather have for under at least $100K, and based on the (many) 993s I've looked at, I'd have to get very lucky to get one in the same condition as my car for similar money. Even if I found one, I'd have to do a PPI, and I'd still worry a little about what might have gone undiscovered.

I've been negotiating with the lease company for a while now, and I'm satisfied that they aren't going to drop the price any further. Even if they did, I doubt it would be a significant change.

How many times does one buy a used car and not have any concerns about it being the right choice?
Old 02-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Well done.

You thought this out, and now are making a good educated decision.

I think it is the best direction you can opt for.

Quick Reply: Lease buyout negotiation - update