help with DAS rollbar install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:53 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts
Default help with DAS rollbar install

Finally putting in my rollbar as my seats and harnesses have arrived and I wanted to knock it all out at once. I can't quite figure out how to take off the quarter panel upholstery pieces. These are the panels on each side of the back seat just below the rear 1/4 window, they must be removed to allow the front lower bar to be installed. I have searched but can't seem to find anything on thier removal. Thanks for any assistance.

Jamie
Old 05-07-2004, 09:24 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Once you take off the upper plastic trim piece with all of the little srews, it will simply lift off. You may have to give it a little fore but it just clips into some brackets under it.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Jamie,

The glue under those thin trim pieces is rather strong but lift off and keep on pulling, and they will relinquish their grip. I recall thinking I was going to break something when I did this, but Kim assured me that the pieces would loosen.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:08 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark and TJ, I thought I had to remove the upper trim piece but, as you say, it is a bit stuborn and I was afraid I would damage it. I will have back at it with a bit more gusto. Thanks.

Jamie
Old 05-07-2004, 10:20 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamie,

I just did mine the other day. Like the others have said you need to get all those little screws and there is glue around the upper trim piece under the window that you can peel off. The other thing is the rear deck panel is holding in the rear of your side 1/4 panels. If you pull the rear panel towards the front of the car you can get everything out of the way for your install. That's the easy part.

The hard part for me was getting the rear mounting point bolts in after the forward mounting points were in. I was doing this by myself. The fit was close but not perfect. I found a new use for the jack that comes with the car. Once I resorted to using the jack to get things lined up the bolts went right in.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:27 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith,
Thanks for the jack tip. Peeling back glued peices of the car is always a bit diconserting, its nice to 100% sure before proceeding.

Jamie
Old 05-07-2004, 10:32 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jamie,

I know what you mean.

I am heading out to work on my car now. Installing 6-point belts. I am drilling holes in the car .
Old 05-07-2004, 10:37 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Jamie,

You should get the tool that Jeff is referencing in this post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=127179

It's what I used and it made it so simple. My advise would be to bolt the back side first. Dylan gave me that advice and couldn't thank him enough.

George
Old 05-07-2004, 10:39 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith,
We should have got together for this DIY, I am putting in 6pts. today too (and seats). While you're here I have another question. I was told by the vendor that the sub belt in a 6pt. should be mounted to each side of the seat (using the same bolt that holds the lap belts) then the sub should come through the same seat hole as the lap belt as well. He said I would actually be sitting on the sub belt and wrap it out from under my thighs to clip it in. In other words it won't be coming up through the sub belt hole in the middle of the seat cushion. I have seen pics, on the list, of 6pts. that do come up through the sub belt hole though. Not sure which is corect although maybe either way is fine.

Jamie
Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks George. I rember now seeing that post some time ago but forgot about it. I think I already have one of those tools in the arsenal.

Jamie
Old 05-07-2004, 02:59 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jamie,

Well you and I are definitely swimming in the same shark infested waters.

I went round and round about how to mount the anti-sub belt and then because I have lowered my seat the Brey Krause hardware for the tunnel side belts would not work correctly so, after talking to a few experts I started drilling holes.

I ended up using eyebolts that came with my belts and steel backing plates with nuts welded to them to install the 2 points for the anti-sub belts and one in the tunnel for my tunnel side belt mounts.

The anti-sub belts are supposed to be basically mounted right under the hole in the seat. According to the mfg. directions I had.

I took two pictures and the batteries quit on the camera I will post them later when I get back home.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:08 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jamie,

I just wanted to add that I cut the tin tray that the ECU/stuff sits on to make room for mounting the eyebolts just aft of the seat cross mount piece.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:09 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Keith. I actually started another thread regarding the sub belt. Your pics will be a great help. This is a tricky DIY as it is not as straight forward as replacing brakes or the like. There is some fudging, fabricating and making it up as you go it seems. Fun if you have time and patience but taxing at times too. I'll look for your pics. Thanks.

Jamie
Old 05-07-2004, 10:32 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jamie,

Here you go:

This shows my lowered seat and how the tunnel belt hardware did not work .

Passenger side eyebolts, notice the custom tin fabrication work .

Drivers side eyebolts, I guess the NA 993's have the same set up.?

This is what it looks like under the car. The plates came plated already but I put a primer on them, used silicon sealer under them and then sprayed them with 3M rubber undercoat material, I know over kill. Oh well.

This is the tunnel side eyebolt. I did not rubber coat up in there as I think I still have dust from Germany up there. Not much gets up there.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:06 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics Keith. I am having some confussion re: the mounting of the sub belt though. Most of the confussion stems from the other thread I started regarding help for the sub belt specifcly. Are you using the brey krause mounting devices for the lap belts. I bought them but now think I only need them if I want to clip and unclip the lap belts from the car. I guess I could, in the case of the outside belt for example, just bolt the belt directly to the lower shoulder belt anchor point. Man this is confusing stuff.

Just re-read your posts regarding the brey krause hardware. Got it. Thanks.

Jamie

Quick Reply: help with DAS rollbar install