Sponsored by:

how are those supercharged 993's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 07:22 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by PK
Can someone please explain if a supercharger would pass emission test here in CA why wouldn't it pass the visual test? What matters is whatever coming out of the tailpipes anyway...wouldn't you think?

TIA.
All aftermarket engine/emmission mods for Calif cars technically require a CARB sticker to be legal. Not really an issue if you get caught with a muffler or intake as you can easily swap them out but a turbo or supercharger system would be troublesome. The way people have been getting these kits to pass Calif smog is to get their car tested at a friendly testing center...or at one that is relatively ignorant of what a stock porsche motor is supposed to look like.

TPC did say that they were going to get CARB approval when they first released their 993 kit but they never went through the process (at least as of the last time I spoke to them). They've also been promising to release an intercooler for the 993 kit but the date keeps on getting pushed back
Old 06-12-2004, 07:33 PM
notbob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What dme did you use for the supercharger setup? Or does the stock dme handle the boost mappings? Was never sure if porsche used same dme for turbo & non or was it custom chip'd?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:23 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to install this kit myself, do I need to drop the motor? Or can I install this while in the car? Also, what dids they tune? For example, I have access to a dyno, but what is this black box? An additional injector driver? How does it adjust. I am calling them today?

Quick Reply: how are those supercharged 993's?