993 Forum 1995-1998

993 engine break-in

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 09:03 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 993 engine break-in

I just recently bought a 96 C2 with 2300 original miles on it. I realise this is not something anyone has had to deal with lately but what is the break-in proceedure for this engine or do I not need to worry about it? I had to order new manuals which could take 4 to 8 weeks I'm told so I don't know if I should be concerned about the RPM levels. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:10 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
At 2300 miles the engine is pretty much broken in already. There isn't much you need to do differently to that engine except to drive it hard.

Enjoy

Old 06-28-2001, 11:17 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

I'll agree with Robin, except that I'd change that to say that the "initial" break-in has already been completed. The initial break-in is when you drive it easy, the rest of the break-in is when you drive it hard. Your car will probably still use about 1 quart of oil every 800 to 1,000 miles (that's normal). Keep driving it hard, and oil usuage will decline (at ~10,000 to 20,000 miles) to ~1 quart/3,000 miles.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:35 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Okay guys - now you have me curious. "Drive it hard" - could you elaborate. Just wanna make sure I'm not babying my 993!!
Old 06-28-2001, 11:43 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A typical routine driving habbit of mine consist of ---

Morning warm up I shift before 3000 rpm, step lightly on the gas pedal, I drive it easy like that until I see that the oil thermostat is opened (you can tell by the oil temperature gauge needle you will notice that the needle reaches a little above 194 degrees and then dips back down just below that)

Once it is warmed up in first gear with no cars ahead of me I would floor the gas until it reaches just about 1000 rpm before the redline, of course I only floor the gas after the clutch have fully and smoothly engaged.

Same for the 2nd gear, I try to give time for the sycros to work between shifts, and when the clutch fully engages, I floor the gas again until 5000 rpm and then after that I shift directly to 4th gear and just cruise, since most of the roads I drive on daily is base on a 45 mph speed limit.

That basically consists of my daily driving, and I get consistant 18-19 mpg.

Robin

p-car.com
Old 06-28-2001, 01:02 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Robin 993 DX In Atlanta:
<STRONG>A typical routine driving habbit of mine consist of ---

Morning warm up I shift before 3000 rpm, step lightly on the gas pedal, I drive it easy like that until I see that the oil thermostat is opened (you can tell by the oil temperature gauge needle you will notice that the needle reaches a little above 194 degrees and then dips back down just below that)

Once it is warmed up in first gear with no cars ahead of me I would floor the gas until it reaches just about 1000 rpm before the redline, of course I only floor the gas after the clutch have fully and smoothly engaged.

Same for the 2nd gear, I try to give time for the sycros to work between shifts, and when the clutch fully engages, I floor the gas again until 5000 rpm and then after that I shift directly to 4th gear and just cruise, since most of the roads I drive on daily is base on a 45 mph speed limit.

That basically consists of my daily driving, and I get consistant 18-19 mpg.

Robin
</STRONG>
Interesting..I do almost exactly the same thing after warm up except that I dont tend to floor as much in first gear although, in addition to second and third, I also floor in fourth though speed limits require braking and the fourth gear part can happen only in non traffic areas. And of course, like Robin, this is AFTER clutch is fully engaged since its really not a race - just me giving the car the good treatment that it likes I hope. Have done this with all my cars actually. AS Robin said, one has to watch the redline carefully but one can tell by the engine sound too as one gets used to the car.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:55 PM
Tom T.
Instructor

Originally posted by CAA:
<STRONG>Okay guys - now you have me curious. "Drive it hard" - could you elaborate. Just wanna make sure I'm not babying my 993!! </STRONG>
In addition to what Robin and Ran wrote, you should consider at least a few days of track time. Your local PCA region should host some Driver's Education (aka DE) where you can drive on a race track with an instructor. Believe me it is a lot safer than most people think. My 1995 993 used 1 quart every 1K miles, and now after a bunch of days at various tracks it uses quite a bit less. DE is a fun, safe, way to further break in your engine.

Tom
1995 993
Old 06-28-2001, 03:10 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Tom T.:
[QB]DE is a fun, safe, way to further break in your engine.QB]
Hey Tom, Could you talk to my wife about this for me, for some reason she doesnt buy it?!? LOL!!
Old 06-28-2001, 03:29 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Robin and others,
Thanks for the quick response and helpful info. I have been keeping the RPMs under 4K so it's great to know I can now run it up when shifting, but only after the proper warm-up. Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2001, 05:06 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Guess I will shift a little higher in the range. PCA Potomac (DC region) does have track events, I just have been lazy in signing up! take care,
Old 06-29-2001, 07:53 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Robin - with regards to the picture of the oil temp gauge (great idea, BTW), I thought that the first mark was approx. 125 degrees and the second mark was approx. 150 degrees.

Am I mistaken?

Quick Reply: 993 engine break-in