Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why are C2S's and C4S's bringing such big $$$ right now?

Old 06-27-2001, 03:23 PM
MikeO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Why are C2S's and C4S's bringing such big $$$ right now?

I've recently become interested in perhaps selling (or trading) my '99 996 Cabriolet and buying a '97 or '98 C2S, preferably with the Aerokit.

I've been looking on the net at various sites such as Autotrader, Classified 2000, and many dealer's sites, and have been amazed to see how high these C2S's (and C4S's) are bringing (or should I say are asking) over what Kelly Blue Book, NADA, and the CPI Value Guide shows their values to actually be.

Why are the C2S's and C4S's out there asking as much as they originally cost (or more)? Is this a permanent phenomenon, or something that dealers are hyping right now due to many Porsche enthusiasts not liking the 996?

One more thing - what does everyone think this car is worth that I'm considering? It's a Speed Yellow '98 C2S with 12,900 miles, supposedely in mint condition, and with the Aerokit? It also has the Motorsound option, CD, 18" wheels with painted wheelcaps, and a few other options I can't remember right now as I type this...
Old 06-27-2001, 03:41 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Mike,
As you mention, the 993 S models are the last of the aircooled lineage. They are a limited run that have the wide body which is very appealing and quite tastefully done vs. earlier turbos, and they were proffered by Porsche basically gratis (remember that previously turbo-looks were sold at huge premiums over base price by Porsche).

Is it permanant.. probably not, nothing ever is in automobiles. The S's will always sell at some sort of premium over narrow bodied cars IMO, but time will tell. And the 993 in any configuration has proven to be a trouble-free car.

I'll let someone else take a stab at the Yellow C2S (sounds enticing!)

[img]null[/img]
Old 06-27-2001, 03:55 PM
CA993
Intermediate

Keep in mind that you may be limiting your re-sale market in purchasing a yellow 911. Personally I love the color, but others may disagree.

As for your assertion that some C2s and C4s are selling at or above their original price, I'm currently attempting to sell a 1997 C4s AeroKit with 24k miles on it for over 20k less than its original price and the car is in mint condition. I've done quite a lot of price research and have yet to see anything going close to original price. I think, however, that prices have held up quite a bit on the "s" and the Turbo because they were simply the best 993s produced and rather unique. It is all about supply and demand.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:44 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Just wondering if there are any significant issues, i.e. maintenance, etc. when considering the 4S versus the 2S? I know that the 2 will not have the added weight that goes along with the driveshaft to the front, however, are there any other factors to consider? I am considering trading in my '95 993 on either a 2S or 4S I have located in my area.

Thanks for any input.

Sam
Old 06-27-2001, 05:16 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Sam, I've had a C2S and now have a 993TT (which is AWD, like the C4S). Unless you will be driving in inclimate weather, I recommend the C2S over the C4S. I say this not just because the C2S weighs less and has "less stuff to break." For me, the RWD C2S provides more enoyable steering input and feedback than the AWD cars where you feel some numbness in the wheel due to power transfer to the front wheels.

You should consider that the C4S comes with the big red brakes from the turbo, which is a nice feature but only of any real significance to you if you will be tracking your car. You can retro fit the big reds to a C2s, but you'd want to push the numbers around and reconder a C4S before you do this.

One distinctive styling difference that favors the C2S is the split rear grill, which most people find very appealing.

Bottom line is drive both cars. There are differences in how they drive and you should decide what you like best. Cost differences on these cars appears to be minimal at this point.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:22 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car in question is worth exactly $64,250 in today's market.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:32 PM
CA993
Intermediate

Originally posted by JC in NY:
<STRONG>The car in question is worth exactly $64,250 in today's market.</STRONG>
How can you state the "exact" price of the car? Does every car have an "exact" value? If so, I think all of us would be wise to use your source when shopping. Can you provide it?
Old 06-27-2001, 05:53 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arrow

I wouldn't rely on Kelly Blue Book and NADA retail prices as good indicators of Porsche value. They have Turbos, C2S, C4S and most limited edition models at much lower value than market. Check out a 1973 RS lightweight for example - I wish I could buy one for that price
Old 06-27-2001, 06:09 PM
MikeO
Advanced

JC in NY,

If I could buy this particular car for the price you state ($64,250), I would have bought it yesterday when I first learned of the car. He's asking $71,900 and tells me that it takes $70,000 to buy the car, which to me seems rather high.

BTW, I called my local Porsche dealership here in Nashville yesterday to ask for pricing advice, and the used car manager about fell over when I told him what people were asking for used C2S's and C4S's (of course, they don't sell many, if any, of these used, which may account for his surprise).
Old 06-27-2001, 06:29 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Mike,

Asking prices for 993 S models can be quite inflated with some dealers - e.g. RPM in Houston, who appears to think that they are appreciating assets. I'm not sure what the cars are actually bringing in today's market, but I do think I know why they are holding their value.

I certainly do not mean to offend 996 owners, since the new model clearly has its strong points with respect to refinement, power, and handling. However, I feel that many long-time Porsche enthusiasts are simply more emotionally attracted to the 993's exterior/interior sytling and driving feel.

When buying a car or motorcycle, I'd venture to guess that most of us base our decisions on emotion (why do I own a Ducati instead of a Honda or Kawasaki, when the Japanese bikes are likely more tractable, smoother, and faster - not to mention less expensive?).

The 993 S model is the ultimate rendition of a classic car which has captured the hearts of 2-3 generations of automotive enthusiasts - men and women. The 996, while a competent car, is a radical departure in almost every respect. The 993 looks pretty similar to a early 1950's 356. The 996...

The "S" 993s are beautiful to behold, and they ain't making 'em anymore. Frankly, I wonder if they will ever make a car like that again. It's the end of an era.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:31 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

The value I gave was my appraisal given the description. It was my attempt to give an answer that satisfied the question "what's it worth?". It's just my opinion, nothing more; based on my observations and talking to owners and recent buyers.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:31 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, you've hit the nail on the head. The S model cars are 1. in demand because they're the last of their kind, and 2. many people, such as enthusiasts like myself, prefer the 993 over a 996. It's all about supply and demand...

-Matt

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Matt in Austin - 98 C2S ]
Old 06-27-2001, 06:45 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Roger,

Thanks for the information. Do you know what percentage the AWD system splits power front to rear? I'm curious as to how much the steering feel will be different between the two models? You are right about test driving both, that is going to be the determining factor.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 06-27-2001, 06:59 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sam,

As I understand it, the 993TT sends between 5 and 40% to the front.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:24 PM
MikeO
Advanced

Anir,

Yes, I noticed that RPM in Houston is generally asking $3000 to $5000 OVER original MSRP for his '98 C2S's (he posts the window stickers on his site).

The Speed Yellow with the Aerokit is not at RPM, but at another dealership. They are asking a premium price in my opinion at $71,900, just like RPM seems to do. I love Speed Yellow (but would also buy Guards Red or Polar Silver), but the high, "collectible car" price is my major obstacle right now for that particular yellow C2S. I offered $65,000 for the car and would have gone higher, had he not told me in no uncertain terms that it took $70,000 to buy the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are C2S's and C4S's bringing such big $$$ right now?