Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why are C2S's and C4S's bringing such big $$$ right now?

Old 06-27-2001, 07:35 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>Sam,

As I understand it, the 993TT sends between 5 and 40% to the front.</STRONG>
That is correct.
Old 06-27-2001, 09:46 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
If the car is near any major metro area (where the money is!), IHHO with the low mileage and the Factory aero package, I estimate the car will sell for high 60's, low to mid 70's.

For a few bucks more ($20,000 + or -), maybe a 993 TT is in order? Good luck with your car quest.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:14 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike,

With its many options, my 993TT (www.996TT.com/joshtheposh) had an original sticker price of close to $130,000. I paid $109,000 for it with 6,000 well-documented miles in 11/00 (i.e. about 15% under sticker). Bought it from a dealer, who was asking $110,000, so I didn't exactly draw him far off his asking price!

I saw many other fine, low mileage examples of 1996 and 1997 Turbos selling for $85 - 105K back then. With the softening of the stock market / economy, prices have subsequently fallen somewhat.

If 993TT prices have fallen to $75-100K, the 993 S models should have fallen as well. Of course, this is just an educated guess, but it stands to reason.

Therefore, I just can't believe that a 993 C2S can still command close to original sticker. Of course, the C2S is very desirable since it avoids what many enthusiasts consider to be an "artificial" AWD steering feel. However, you might consider pursuing a 993TT if it becomes difficult to find a reasonably priced C2S.

I have grown to love the security and handling abilities of the AWD. In the rain, nothing on the road can keep up with it, and its track abilities are outstanding in the right driver's hands.

Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:36 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Viken, Anir,

Thanks for the information.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:42 AM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting and informative dialogue in this thread. I think Anir's point about keeping pricing perspective relative to a 993TT is right on. I don't want to minimize the significance of $15,000, but if you're talking about paying 70 large or more for either a C2S or C4S you really should open your search to the 993TT. If you look hard enough you can find very nice mid mileage 993TTs in the mid 80s and low mileage cars in the low 90s. My guess is that if you're looking to spend $70K for a limited use vehicle you could probably muster up another $20K to get to the pinnacle. I'm not saying this is right for everyone, but certainly worth considering.

I say this as a TT owner that prefers the tail-less elegance and the precise steering of the C2S. The performance of the TT is just stunning, and it doesn't look too shabby either.

Old 06-28-2001, 08:21 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by roger sf:
<STRONG>Interesting and informative dialogue in this thread. I think Anir's point about keeping pricing perspective relative to a 993TT is right on. I don't want to minimize the significance of $15,000, but if you're talking about paying 70 large or more for either a C2S or C4S you really should open your search to the 993TT. If you look hard enough you can find very nice mid mileage 993TTs in the mid 80s and low mileage cars in the low 90s. My guess is that if you're looking to spend $70K for a limited use vehicle you could probably muster up another $20K to get to the pinnacle. I'm not saying this is right for everyone, but certainly worth considering.

I say this as a TT owner that prefers the tail-less elegance and the precise steering of the C2S. The performance of the TT is just stunning, and it doesn't look too shabby either.
</STRONG>
MikeO,
I agree entirely with roger's post especially since, in my case, that is almost exactly how it went down. Looked for S and went with TT. I was looking for an S since I figured it was "all" that I needed or would be qualified to drive. I went with the TT after discovering that I could not justify paying that much for an S (value decision I mean). The stock market played a part too in how long these guys with S models wanted to hold out (margin calls etc.). Interestingly a month or two after making bids on S models, I got a couple of calls offering me S models at lower prices than my bid on them or in most cases agreement to offer cars at my bid price but I had already purchased a TT (right place, right time). Not to dispute the prevailing wisdom on this board as regards the 993 or 993TT's durability but if you are buying a TT, especially one with higher mileage to keep price down, be sure to look at maintenance (eg. 2 minute idling at the end of a drive, etc.). I wouldn't mind buying a TT from someone who is aware of these issues as indeed my previous owner was (though mine was very low mileage anyway).

I like that Speed Yellow colour option. I looked into a Ferrari Fly Yellow coloured C4S too. Almost bought it. I'd say go for the Speed Yellow. There will always be a certain person who likes yellow. I was willing to pay extra over what I considered it worth ONLY on that yellow car BUT its also the car that made me realise that I should just get a TT as I looked more carefully at the price I was considering !!!

And, in hindsight, my decision worked great for me. Even a dummy can atleast enjoy any added torque !! But, in all seriousness, it was worth it. Whatever you end up with, be sure its what you will like. Dont compromise too much when you pay these prices. Its a good time to find a good C2S or C4S I think

Best of luck

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Ran ]
Old 06-28-2001, 11:38 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Ran, I like Speed Yellow too and don't agree with buying a car to enjoy according to how much it will resale for again in 5 years. Buy the car because you like it.

Old 06-28-2001, 11:54 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

MikeO:

This is just my opinion, and others may disagree, but I feel that if you want the car, buy it. These cars are based on perceived value. It is only you that can decide whether $70k is too much to pay.

Personally? I would rather pay the $70k and drive the car asap and enjoy it (as long as it passes my inspections), than go from dealer to dealer to find a car that is $5k less.

Of course, throw this out the window if you are spending every penny you own to buy this car.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:50 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by E. J. - 95 Carrera - No. Va.:
<STRONG>Ran, I like Speed Yellow too and don't agree with buying a car to enjoy according to how much it will resale for again in 5 years. Buy the car because you like it.
</STRONG>
EJ,
I agree with you in that price has almost nothing to do with what a good is worth to someone but I also realised that I would enjoy the Polar Silver TT much more than the additional price over the price I was willing to pay for the yellow normally aspirated car. Thats all. But in essence I am totally of the opinion that one should buy a car with options that one wants etc. In fact I am one of those guys who always deletes sunroof when ordering a car even if it is a no cost option and even if it may sometimes result in lower resale. Besides I never said anything about resale value. If anything I was pointing out that he should go for the yellow and that there would probably be someone to buy it if he was concerned that much.

And Mark is right about buying what you want. Just that I realised that I wanted a TT when I looked at it!!

Cheers

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Ran ]
Old 06-28-2001, 01:17 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Ran:
<STRONG>Besides I never said anything about resale value. If anything I was pointing out that he should go for the yellow and that there would probably be someone to buy it if he was concerned that much.

And Mark is right about buying what you want. Just that I realised that I wanted a TT when I looked at it!!</STRONG>
Ran, you might have misunderstood me. I was not critizing your comments at all, just airing my feelings that if you like the car, you should pay what it is worth to you. If it is $5000 more than you think it is worth to you, then wait to find one that is worth that. I am a good example also. I needed a high miles car to afford a 993 and I waited 9 months before finding mine with 83000 miles on the clock and stole it for $32,500.

There will always be another car if you dont like the one you found.

Cheers,
Old 06-28-2001, 01:37 PM
MikeO
Advanced

BTW, that extra $5000 will buy a nice set of aftermarket 18" Kinesis Supercup or RH C2 Turbo wheels and tires AND an exhaust system.

It's not that I don't have the extra $5000 to spend - I do. I just don't feel as if the Speed Yellow car I'm considering is worth $70,000, especially when I've been told that '98 C2S's are selling in the low $60,000 range ($60-62,000) at the Manheim Auto Auction. I know these prices are wholesale dealer prices, but if those #s are true, should I really have to pay that much profit ($8000 or more) to buy one from a dealer?

I'm not trying to be cheap, just responsible...
Old 06-28-2001, 01:51 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Mike,

I fully agree. It's not an issue of whether you "can" spend another $5,000. It's whether you should, or want to. Personally, I still think that $5,000 is a lot of money. In fact, it nearly paid for my Ducati.

I've never tried to nickel and dime merchants to death, but why not try to negotiate a good deal on purchases that rewards seller and buyer alike? It's fun!

I'm also fortunate in that I've never been the type that has to have it today. I never understood all the folks that overpaid for their BMW M5s last year.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:02 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Does anyone know what the base MSRP (w/o any options) price was for a 1997 C2S? I know that the 1998 C2S has a base MSRP of $63,750.00 per window stickers on RPM Motorsports. I thought the MSRP was higher than this, in fact, I thought this was the base price of a narrow body in '97.

Thanks for any info
Old 06-28-2001, 02:24 PM
becker - 97'C4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Anir

I don't understand it either ... Some people just need to have it, the same is happening to the F360 80K US over list price is not uncommon.

I got my C4S new and it's good to see lots of people agree with my taste it's a great car. Driving it is pretty addictive.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:45 PM
CC993
Advanced

MikeO...

I bought a 98C2S last summer after debating whether to go for a TT...three major considerations played into my decision...first was that I found a gorgeous mint 98C2S in Artic Silver with 8k miles, aerokit, all leather interior, true hollow technology wheels (although I didn't know it at the time), motor sound etc...second was the 30k price differential and third, damn, I forgot (dementia setting in )...
oh yeah, the aerokit rear spoiler is totally integrated into the rear lid (turbo S type) and is truly a beautiful thing to behold whereas the turbo spoiler had that "added on" look (sorry TT people)...
This spring I once again got the urge to look into the TT market as prices were beginning to fall and almost made the move but didn't...again, it came down to the rear spoiler...

If its any help, I paid 72,500. for mine last June which included enclosed shipping (door to door) about 400 miles...

Whichever car you end up with, you will love it to death (not literally, I hope)...these are very special cars...get a nice one while you can...good luck!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are C2S's and C4S's bringing such big $$$ right now?