Sponsored by:

Adding a motorized spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 06:08 PM
CT Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Adding a motorized spoiler

How difficult and costly is it to install a motorized rear spoiler on a 97 NB? The car currently has an aftermarket spoiler which I’m considering removing to go back to a traditional look. I don’t think the car originally had a motorized spoiler since it is not listed on the option codes nor is there a switch in the center console. However, the wiring harness under the existing spoiler looks like it contains more wires than would be needed for just the rear taillight.
I would need to purchase all new or used parts for the spoiler and am also curious how easy they would be to get and what they might cost. Thx.

Last edited by CT Mike; 07-24-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:26 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

These are the 2 connectors for the motorized spoiler mechanism:

They run to the rhs hinge and there would be an inline connector on that hinge.
The rest should be easy to piece together from a PET. 6 bolts and some plastic pins (8?) hold the assembly to the decklid. I'm assuming as standard there are the 6x threaded holes for the bolts? (3 threaded holes visible in photo on lhs of cutout).
Old 07-25-2022, 09:29 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 233 Posts

Mike - The previous owner of my car switched from the factory wing to a split grill spoiler. The wing is back on the car now but still have the split grill if you'd like to take a look. Not interested in selling, but you'll be able to see what's involved in the installation. PM me, I'm down the road from you. Jay

Last edited by jay@EZimmoblock.com; 07-25-2022 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Adding a motorized spoiler