Starter Won't Engage (Solved!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Starter Won't Engage (Solved!)

Hi,

I searched the archives but could not find any discussion about the problem I am having.

Basically, when I unlock the doors with the remote and get into the car, the starter won't engage.

The battery is in good shape and all the dash lights go on, but the starter won't turn.

I've tried locking and unlocking a few times and still nothing.

Another problem I notice is that the interior lights don't go on when the door is opened (although they go on if I press each one of them manually). However, the chimes sound when the key is in the ignition and the doors are opened.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 04-07-2002, 04:15 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chuck
Some questions to narrow the field:

[quote]... when I unlock the doors with the remote and get into the car, the starter won't engage.<hr></blockquote>

When you turn the ignition to start does anything happen - solenoid clicking, headlights dim (if on), fan work, etc? Is the immobilizer light on (bet 3-4 in the clock). If so, when you push the remote does it go out? Is it flashing? What are the door LEDs doing when you arm the system? Normal flashing - rapid flashing?

[quote]The battery is in good shape and all the dash lights go on, but the starter won't turn.<hr></blockquote>

I'll assume the battery & it's connections have been checked as OK.

[quote]Another problem I notice is that the interior lights don't go on when the door is opened (although they go on if I press each one of them manually).<hr></blockquote>

Assuming lights are in the correct position (middle switch setting - flat across) for door activated operation, do they stay off with both doors opened and when the trunk is opened?
Old 04-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Problem Solved!

There was a connector under the passenger seat that was loose. It plugs into a small silver box on the left hand side.

Don't know what it does, but everything is OK now.

Thanks for the help.

Chuck
Old 04-07-2002, 10:06 PM
kevin993c4
Advanced

Chuck,

My interior lights do not turn on if the driver's door is opened. I can only do it manually. However they do turn on if the passenger side is opened. Was this the same situation for you?

What color is the plug on the silver box that you are referring to? I have two silver boxes and one antenna box under my passenger seats. One silver box has a blue plug and the other has yellow.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

Hi Kevin,

My problem was slightly different. Neither of the doors (or the trunk light) would come on if any of the doors or trunk were opened.

I don't remember the color of the wire but if you were sitting in the passenger seat, the silver box is located on the left hand side. The connector that was loose was the front one (front meaning the one closest to the front of the car).

I'm no expert, but your problem may be a bad switch or connection on the drivers door side.

Does the chime sound when the key is in the ignition and the drivers door is open?

Chuck
Old 04-09-2002, 03:49 AM
kevin993c4
Advanced

Chuck,

You are very right. My door chime did not come on when I put my key in the ignition. Now I have to figure out how to change the door switch or find the problem area. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Starter Won't Engage (Solved!)