Sponsored by:

rag sucked into cooling fan!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 12:25 AM
Terry Lefco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy rag sucked into cooling fan!

When picking up my car this evening from its 60,000 service, I noticed some details that didn't look right. On a hunch, I opened the engine hatch and found chewed up cotton waste and bits of cloth all over. It was obvious that a rag had been chewed up by the belts, but where was it? The mechanic then came out and admitted that he had left a rag in the engine compartment by mistake. He then looked inside of the cooling fan with a flashlight and pulled out several good-sized pieces of rag and some bits.
We then discussed where the rest of the rag would be if there was any left, and what this might do. We took off the under-engine tray and found nothing. The car seems to run normally but I have a track event this weekend and want to consider the possibilities carefully.
OK, your ideas (other than getting a more careful mechanic)?
Old 06-26-2001, 12:36 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I dont have an answer to the rag question but I picked up on your track event bit.. Since you seem to be in the area, though perhaps a bit far away for me, can I ask where you intend to track your car.

Wouldn't mind knowing name of the rag leaving mechanic's workshop either

Thanks in advance. And best of luck with the rag. I hope you have it all out already.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:33 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Terry,
The cooling fan pushes air on to the top of the cylinder to cool the engine, on the each cylinder there are also fins to aid the cooling, also there are air deflectors which directs air to certain spots of the cylinder. I think you should at least remove the fan assembly and take out the alternator and check for debris on the top of the cylinder area. If those debris catches on fire it could burn through the harness that is on top of the cylinder. Who knows what other damages it could do.

Below is a picture of the cylinder head behind the fan/alternator assembly.

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Robin 993 DX In Atlanta ]

Quick Reply: rag sucked into cooling fan!