993 Forum 1995-1998

Wheel Touch up Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 11:56 AM
John B
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wheel Touch up Paint?

My recently acquired 1997 C2 has a couple of small blemishes on the wheels compliments of the PO. They are the stock 17 inch Cup wheels. Dealer was unable to recommend Porsche touch up paint. Can anyone here advise me on the right product to use? Thanks
Old 04-06-2002, 06:33 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

There is a Wurth silver paint that matches our wheels very well. I remember reading about it on the BMW DIY board. Maybe you want to do a search on that. If I find anything I'll post for you later
Old 04-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

OK, try this:

<a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/wurth_silverspray_11322.html" target="_blank">http://www.carcareonline.com/wurth_silverspray_11322.html</a>

Old 04-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Somebody told me about this paint; works very well. A local shop saw a touch-up I did, and asked me what I used.

I wrote this up in our local Porsche Club newsletter, the "Rundschau".

---------------------------------------

REPAIRING PAINT SCRATCHES ON WHEELS
by Ray Calvo

This is addressed towards those of you who have silver-painted alloy wheels, as used on the 924/944/928 and on many of the 964/993 series Porsches. It is NOT for those of you with the Fuchs forged alloy wheels, chrome plated wheels, or polished or satin aluminum (either clear coated or not).

I am sure that at one time or other you have suffered a scratch in the silver painted surface. Maybe the tire installer wasn't too careful, or you scratched them taking them on or off your wheel carrier transporting them to and from the track, or you scraped a curb at one time. In any case, you might try this method for touching up the scratched area.

Sand the damaged area first with 80 or 100 grit sandpaper. Sand ONLY the area damaged; do not even lightly touch the outlying undamaged area or you will expand the area you have to touch up. Sand until you have an even contour. Then progress to finer and finer grits; first 220 or 320 grit and finally finishing with 500 grit. These painted wheels are generally cast aluminum, and so should sand very easily.

An excellent paint match is one of the following:
Plasti-Kote no. 3230
Dupli-Color no. 77-01579

Both of these are the little brush-on touch up vials. The color is actually a Toyota very fine silver used from about '89 to '94 (the Dupli-Color vial I got calls it Toyota Platinum Silver). You can now touch up the sanded area with the paint. You should get a very close match to the factory original paint, and from several feet away the damage should just about disappear. I used this with success on both the OE and the aftermarket (track) wheels on my 993.

(Note: my thanks to Bob Petruska on the Audi A4 list for this helpful hint)

Quick Reply: Wheel Touch up Paint?