Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Mike Schatz gave me religion today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 01:03 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 39 Posts
Smile Mike Schatz gave me religion today!!!

I picked up my 993TT today after swapping to the FVD ECU mated to GT1 turbos. All I can say is DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The car totally rocked my world - borderline scary fast. There's absolutely no comparison to every other setup I've experienced with my Turbo (stock, PROgram and FVD ECU with K16 turbos). Can't wait for my next track day.

Thanks for a great job Mike!! No commercial plug intended, but West Coast turbo owners who want to go faster are crazy if they don't call Mike.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:54 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob,

Okay, I'm gonna say it!!!

I told ya you would be happy

I'm very happy that this finally worked out for ya. Now you need to find Blaise and have that little test again!

Rick
Old 06-25-2001, 10:55 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Rick,

I knew I had a great big "I told ya so" coming right at me!!! Don't bet on Blaise for that next little test!!
Old 06-25-2001, 01:04 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 668 Likes on 462 Posts
Rick has been telling me about the GT1 turbo's for a while too...
perhaps this will be my winter project

Rob, glad you like it, can u give any kind of a description about the difference between that and stock?
Old 06-25-2001, 02:31 PM
Pete911air
Instructor

Rob,
There is a drivng event at Willowsprings tomorrow 06-26-01. There is going to be another turbo out there and you can measure your car against his.
Pete.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:14 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob:

Great news. I'm glad it finally came together. Enjoy.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:31 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Pete911air:
<STRONG>Rob,
There is a drivng event at Willowsprings tomorrow 06-26-01. There is going to be another turbo out there and you can measure your car against his.
Pete.</STRONG>
Pete,

Thanks for the headsup re Willow. Unfortunately I have a client meeting tomorrow that I can't reschedule. I'll post some more comments on the car once I get a chance to drive it a little more. I'm anxiously awaiting my next track day, that's for sure!
Old 06-25-2001, 06:42 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Great news. I am glad you liked the setup. Mike is a great guy and really stands behind his work and the FVD products.
Old 06-25-2001, 11:20 PM
tc
Intermediate

Can you be more specific as to what work was done? I live in Florida so a trip by Shatz is pretty much out the question. I was considering adding the Porsche 450 powerkit. It has a new ECU, new turbos, and an oil cooler. I would be interested in at least knowing more about this FVD opportunity before I commit. Don't be afraid to brag!!!!!
Thanks....
Old 06-26-2001, 04:15 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by tc:
<STRONG>Can you be more specific as to what work was done? I live in Florida so a trip by Shatz is pretty much out the question. I was considering adding the Porsche 450 powerkit. It has a new ECU, new turbos, and an oil cooler. I would be interested in at least knowing more about this FVD opportunity before I commit. Don't be afraid to brag!!!!!
Thanks....</STRONG>
TC,

FVD is an aftermarket German tuner that works very closely with the Porsche factory and Bosch. FVD is actually a private label manufacturer of components for several big name aftermarket Porsche tuners as well.

I tried a few different approaches for maximizing the power of my turbo without opening the engine up or compromising the drivability/longevity.

Basically I went with GT1 turbos that flow more air than the stock units. The FVD ECU is tuned to operate best with these particular turbos. As a result, I have more power with no additional lag. When the car is under boost, it absolutely screams.

Andial can certainly provide a technically similar package, but it will probably be more $$$. All I can say is my car flat out screams now and has retained all of the drivability of a stock turbo. I am going to have to reacquaint myself with the car at the track, as the additional power leads to very pronounced weight transfer when the car comes under full boost.

Two final points: Call Mike Schatz at (805) 482-7278 and get his opinions on what your options are. He is very frank and honest, he definitely know his sh*t (he's a full time Porsche service tech at a dealership in his "other" job) and he's very generous with his time to enthusiasts. Second, don't go with Andial's Turbo S auxiliary oil cooler. It really doesn't offer much additional cooling capacity, especially if you bump your car up to 460-470 hp. You're much better off going with a Cargraphics USA GT1 auxiliary oil cooler. This is about 3x the size of the Turbo S unit and mounts directly in front of the AC condensor and fan. Your car will actually run cooler when you have the AC blasting away.

Give Mike a call and email me if you have any additional questions. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2001, 12:50 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Rob,
Does Mike Schatz sell FVD exclusively? The oil cooler that you mention as Andials is an original Porsche Part and in the FVD Catalog Page 48. Now this is for Steve Weiner. Tighten your seat belt cause it gets comical.
FVD CATALOG 993-1996 ENGINE MOD'S.
page 35 Exhaust system 25 hp.
page 41 e-prom 18 hp.
page 42 Performance Throttle Body 17 hp.
page 43 RS Cams (hp. not specified) ?
page 43 Mechanical Rocker Arms 20 hp.
page 44 Super 104 Octane Booster 10 hp.
page 45 K & N Air Filter 10 hp.
Total Horsepower gain 100 hp.
Add Aircleaner from Joe Fabspeed 13 hp.
All this will give you 395 hp.

Somebody should tell Porsche Motorsport because they only have 380 hp. in a full 993 race motor.

Pete.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:08 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Rob,
( 1 )You are once again incorrect. FVD does not manufacture anything. They sell parts made by different companies.
( 2 )There are many 630 hp,Turbos around with the Porsche oil cooler withouy any overheating problem. There is a black Turbo at every Willowsprings event (small oil cooler)that has not had an equal in over two years. He can lap at 1.30 minutes.If your car can beat his I will take your words anytime.
I will not get into a rant,just my opinion,I could be wrong.
Pete
Old 06-27-2001, 01:27 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Pete911air:
<STRONG>Rob,
( 1 )You are once again incorrect. FVD does not manufacture anything. They sell parts made by different companies.
( 2 )There are many 630 hp,Turbos around with the Porsche oil cooler withouy any overheating problem. There is a black Turbo at every Willowsprings event (small oil cooler)that has not had an equal in over two years. He can lap at 1.30 minutes.If your car can beat his I will take your words anytime.
I will not get into a rant,just my opinion,I could be wrong.
Pete</STRONG>
Thank you for clarifying that I was "once again" incorrect. All this time I had no idea that I had been "previously" incorrect.

FYI, I certainly agree that the oil cooler Andial offers is a factory part - when I referred to it as Andial's I simply meant the (factory) unit Andial sells.
My humble opinion simply is that the Car Graphics oil cooler offers greater cooling capacity than the S unit.

Re the 630hp black turbo, of course he is faster than me. At no point did I say I'm the fastest, everyone else sucks, yada, yada, yada. I simply said I'm real happy with my recent mods. If that black turbo comes flying up behind me at Willow, I'll simply give him a pass signal and wave as he spanks me!

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Rob W. ]

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Rob W. ]
Old 06-27-2001, 02:32 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Rob,
The black Turbo does not have 630 hp.It is a 3.6Liter 3340lbs Turbo driven to the track and back. Acording to the the article he posted on trackquest it has 550 hp.
Pete.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:08 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pete,

Lighten up, Bro. After reading your paragraph, I was also under the impression that the black Turbo had 630 hp.

Quick Reply: Mike Schatz gave me religion today!!!