Removing wooden shiftknob?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:29 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Removing wooden shiftknob?

My car has the rootwood shiftknob, which has a leather shiftpattern center to it. On the stock leather shift ****, you pry the plastic center up to access the allen bolt beneath it; anyone know if the wood one is the same before I start gouging up the leather center?

Vic
95 C2
Old 04-28-2004, 11:39 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Don't!
There is a set screw (allen head) under and to the rear of the shift ****. In order to take the **** off, you have to remove the shift boot. In order to do that, I found that I had to unscrew the console. Not a hard job, about a dozen screws.
Did you find a replacement leather shift pattern? Mine was warned out as well. I put in a Momo wood ****. Vic, if I ever make it to Quincy, you can see and try it (tomorrow?)
Old 04-28-2004, 12:00 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike, I'll be around home (Hanover) pretty much all day Thursday and Friday, fussing with the car (detailing, trying to get the front bumper lined up correctly so I can get some clear film installed, and installing a Traffic Pro). Drop me a line if you want to shoot down.

I actually don't care for the leather insert, and would rather change it out for a black or aluminum one, was curious if it was just glued in or if it does in fact come out.

Vic
95 C2
Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

Vic,
As Mike said, do not pry the shift pattern cap off, there is an allen scew that holds the **** on.
But, you do not have to remove the console!
Press the driver's side edge of the leather shift boot down with a wide blade screwdriver with a cloth around the blade to protect the leather. There are two flat spring clips that hold the ring around the leather boot in place. Once you have the boot free of the console, lift it up over the **** to get to the allen screw.
There is a few pictures and instructions found in this DIY: http://p-car.com/diy/handbrake/

max
Old 04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Vic, I'll buzz you tomorrow and maybe take a trip down. Will give you a hand if needed.
I'm not sure how the insert can be removed, as I couldn't pry mine out. I do like the fact that the stock wood **** is heavy, as Momo one is lighter than I'd hoped.

Quick Reply: Removing wooden shiftknob?