New Springs,Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 02:32 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>First, I have to fix the poor Ducati. </STRONG>
Anir, I have been out of town - what happened???
Old 06-22-2001, 02:47 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EJ,

In a nutshell, I "ate ****" in a corner. I felt that I was in too high a gear (those twins like to live around 4,000 - 6,000 rpm), so I downshifted. Transferred too much power too suddenly to the rear tire in the middle of the turn, and had the bike slide out from under me.

I really should have known better, since I usually try to finish my braking and heel-and-toe downshifting before entering a turn in the 993. However, I'm really rusty with the bike (haven't ridden much in the past 17 years).

Separated my shoulder, gashed my elbow, nice road rash up and down the left arm. Next time, I won't make the same mistake!

I've got some great safety gear ordered. Just got my Ducati Dainese leather/kevlar gloves yesterday.

I should stick to p-cars and DE events, aye?
Old 06-22-2001, 03:14 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Wow Anir, glad you survived. Doesn't sound that bad all in all. I would imagine some damage to the bike, but hopefully just cosmetic.

No I told you so's or any of that BS from me, just glad youre okay. I know for me 4 wheels is hard enough, can't imagine two.

Hope you start to feel better. Does this mean you are not going to VIR with Viper Days? I hope not.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:19 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I'm trying to decide. The safety equipment cost about $1500 and the bike will be about $1000 - 1200 to fix. I don't want to incur the wrath of my wonderful wife, who has been pretty patient and supportive thus far! I just spent several thousand on the bike only 2 weeks ago!

Why is Viper Days so much more expensive than a typical PCA DE event (i.e. $600 instead of $300)?

Right now, my shoulder hurts pretty bad just driving the 993TT casually around town (I could use some of that over-assisted, over-boosted M5 steering right now with the shoulder separation!). Hopefully, it will be healed by late July.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:54 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>Why is Viper Days so much more expensive than a typical PCA DE event (i.e. $600 instead of $300)?</STRONG>
Anir, Viper Days has a very small number of cars entered. I am not sure of the number, maybe Greg knows he has done one of their events in the past. I know they give you gourmet lunches too. But I think it is the low car count that keeps the price high. From what I hear, it is the most track time you are ever going to see.

Hope to see you there.

Quick Reply: New Springs,Mistake?