Smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 07:47 PM
rknebel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from exhaust

Hi,

I have a 1996 993 turbo. I have had it for about 6 months and it has been running great. It has about 32,000 miles on it. I recently took it to my local dealer to have four new tires mounted and asked them to check my oil also. I guess tey did not put the oil cap back on tight because when I drove it home and pulled into the driveway it was smoking and dripping oil. When I took it back they told me they didn't tighten the cap good enough and thats where they oil was coming from. They cleaned it up and sdded a little more oil. It still smoked a little but i presume it still had not burned off all the spilled oil. The distressing thing that happened though is after this occured later that day , after the car was warmed up, I was accelerating hard in second gear and heard this rattling type noise and when I looked in my rearview mirror I saw a big clou7d of smoke that looked like it came from the back of the car. I could not reproduce it again, but does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
Alot
Rick
Old 04-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once, I attempted to refill my oil too quickly after an oil change.
I cleaned up all the spilled oil I saw and I thought that was it. While taking the car off its jack stands, oil started to pour on to the ground again. I thought I had a leak - turns out that the warm air heat exchanger is just below the oil fill tube and it can hold quite a bit of spilled oil. Could it be that the spilled oil is still blowing on to your exhaust? Of course this does not explain the rattling noise.

Dave
Old 04-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link may be helpful:

http://www.993faq.com/archives/cat_engine.html#000310

Also, jump on over to the 993 TT board and do a seach for "smoking turbo" and you'll see tons and tons of articles there.

As far as smoking while it's been already warmed up, that is definatley strange. Did you check to make sure there are no warning lights and all of your belts are there? There should be 3 belts ( fan, alternator, AC )
Old 04-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You go outside right now and rub your TT's bonnet and pray that it's only spilled oil...
Old 04-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I consider myself an expert when it comes to spillin' stuff.
When we speak of Turbos, I defer to actual Turbo guys, like Jeff.

Quick Reply: Smoke from exhaust