Sponsored by:

993 Clutch Adjustment?? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 01:05 AM
Jordan Lee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 Clutch Adjustment?? (Long)

It wasn't until I recently drove a friends ’96 993 (identical to mine except for beautiful set of 18” rims and PSS9) that I noticed how smoother the shift and clutch action was in his car compared to mine. Floorless standing starts and shifts. Much smoother than mine. I seem to have to be so attentive when engaging my clutch because instead of a smooth meshing with the fly wheel there it a point where it just ‘grabs’. Very little transition. Clutch installed by PO about 5500 miles ago. 55,000 total on car.
I also seem to have a slight none the less noticeable notch to push through when changing gears. Especially 1st. to 2nd. but evident in all gear changes. Feels just shy of a 'crunch'. It helps if when changing gears I momentarily pause mid shift in neutral but does not completely make shifting smooth and does nothing for acceleration. For want of a better description the gear box feels “clunky” Do these sound like related issues? Could it be as simple as a clutch adjustment?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,

Jordan

Old 05-23-2002, 11:36 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unfortunately you cannot adjust hydrolic clutch systems - they are self adjusting. If you are having problems with clutch action you may first want to bleed the system first - it may help. If you are expriencing "notchy/noisy" clutch peddle then its most likely your slave cylinder going bad. On 993s the slave cylinder does not have to leak to go south.

Do you also exprience harder than "normal" clutch effort?

as far as notchy shifting - try changing trans fluid.

a good site for all diy is <a href="http://p-car.com" target="_blank">p-car.com</a>
Old 05-23-2002, 11:59 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jordan,

Here are some possible causes of Difficulty engaging gears: (assuming you don't have a transmission problem)

Insufficient travel - adjust clutch. (not for 993)

Clutch fluid level low (check for leaks), or air in system (bleed).

Slave or master cylinder seals failed.

Clutch plate sticking on splines and dragging.

Clutch diaphragm dragging (broken fingers)

Here are the possible recommendations based on the fact that your clutch was just repalced recently.

Replace the clutch slave cylinder (this is a common failure part on the 993s)

Check for corrosion on the splines by selecting first gear with the clutch pedal depressed and start the engine see if the car wants to launch forward. You will need to do this in a quick sequence. I have heard that some time when the clutch is replaced the technican forgets to properly lubricate the splines and or forgot to install the cover plate which will allow moisture to enter and cause the corrosion.

If all the above recommendation checks out ok, then you will need to focus on your transmission.

When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed out?

It is possible you may have some worn syncros, especially 2nd gear. Which points improper shifting and abuse.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:48 AM
Jordan Lee
Intermediate

Thank you gentlemen for as usual a prompt and comprehensive reply.
Will definitely change the trans. fluid for starters. I am open to fluid brand /weight recommendations.
Is there a conclusive process by which one can test the slave / master cylinders for normal operation?

With thanks,

Jordan
Old 08-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Scott Fendrick
2nd Gear

My car has 64k miles on it with no clutch yet, that I know of. That makes me think one is in my near future. Symptoms that make me nervous:

difficult, impossible, to shift into reverse with engine running, when first started sitting in my garage. I changed the manual trans fluid with synthetic two weeks ago. This is almost like I need a little more clutch to engage gears properly.
creeps, ever-so-slightly, forward or backward with engine running, clutch in, at a stop sign or parking lot (reverse is more noticeable) This is almost like the clutch is not disengaging all the way.
There is some slipping at times…since it is a dry clutch, I would think warm up has nothing to do with it.
I know a warm engine is better and that Porsche is notorious for its difficult cold shifting, but I don’t want to damage more expensive stuff by waiting….
Old 08-19-2003, 06:58 PM
Scott Fendrick
2nd Gear

I plan on changing the slave cylinder fluid this weekend just to be sure. Any suggestions on mechanics in the Houston area? Thanks in advance for the help

Quick Reply: 993 Clutch Adjustment?? (Long)