Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remember the car which wouldn't start when buying vanilla ice cream?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 08:16 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think it should be vapour lock - it was the oldder cars that suffered, had the problem on a very hot day some years ago in a '76 911 (yeh we DO get odd hot days in the UK). Took about 1 hour for the engine to cool and then the car fired but ran irratically for about 10 minutes before clearing its throat. I am led to believe the 993 has protection against this problem.

PJC
Old 04-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Firren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by John H
Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood abit. Here's what I am dealing with:

I feel your pain.
ouch!!! track incident?
Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Holy crap!

Wow, we could turn this in to a very depressing thread forsure :/

Well, let's not do that, let's be happy, spring is here!

The problem with my car is the mechanics dont drive it as much as they have to to get it to stop or not start and it's ****ing annoying.
This has been the problem with all 3 mechanics who's worked on the car and now that I asked the current mechanic to drive it more often, they just said it's impossible and that it would cost me a fortune.

I'm like, well how in the hell are you going to solve the problem then?
Idiots!!!

I'm driving 3 hours to stockholm this weekend just to show them AGAIN how to make the car stop or not start.

And like that wasn't enough, I've spent 2600 dollars on work and new parts to try to solve it
Old 04-27-2004, 10:15 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Firren,

Yes, it was a track incident. 100% my fault.

If you know Mid-Ohio, but I was going through turn one, got a little too wide, went up on the curb, slid off the top of the curb and was scraping the bottom of the car on the top of the curb. I had two wheels on and two wheels off at this point.

As soon as I got to the end of the curb and the car settled back on its wheels, the rear end came around and sent me into the tire wall on the left side of the track. I was going at a pretty good clip and did not slow down much before hitting the tires.

The theory is that I had the front wheels slightly turned to the left and when the car's weight came down on the tires at the end of the curbing, it caused the snap spin.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Firren
Advanced

John H:

I am sad to hear this. I know how much my own car means to me. Hope there were no persons injured - cars can be fixed after all.

(getting slightly OT here)
How is the insurance situation in the States? Here in Sweden we always have "interesting" issues each time there is an incident while we are doing Driver's Educations, which technically should be OK here but are not always. Hm, I see your car looks quite track-oriented, if the driving on track is either timed or could be regarded as "practise for racing" then our insurance claims are void. Would be interesting to hear how this is solved at your side of the pond. I hope your car turns out alright, is the subframe damaged?

Miraculix: coming here to Stockholm this weekend then? I might just drop by the local PC then, if I have time
Old 04-27-2004, 12:02 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do not have insurance on the car as it is track only. Had it been an insured car, given the damage, I probably would have fought about it with the insurance company as it was not a timed event. I have heard stories going both ways about coverage under a regualr auto policy. I bought the track car with this type of situation in mind, i.e. wrecking it. I used to worry about wrecking my street car/daily driver. As I got faster, I got more worried and decided a dedicated track car was the way to go.

I was not hurt and most importantly, I did not hit or hurt anyone else. The latter is what concerns me the most.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:06 AM
Firren
Advanced

Originally posted by John H
I was not hurt and most importantly, I did not hit or hurt anyone else. The latter is what concerns me the most.
This is indeed very true.

Sounds like your insurance policies are about the same as here in Sweden, then.

I hope you find a solution that you are happy with for fixing the car!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Firren:

Are you signed up for our 911 meet on Sunday?

http://hemsidor.torget.se/users/n/No...rs/911dejt.htm

See you there!
Old 04-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Firren
Advanced

Miraculix:

u bet I am, see you then!
Old 04-28-2004, 02:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The answer to the story was vapor lock that didn't set in because chocolate was closer to the front...vanilla took more time, or the other way around...but that was the key to your story, getting back to the original point.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Miraculix, I looked and did not find that You had replaced the fuel pump. I believe You will find that to be your problem.

John, when You took the car out of Texas we told You about letting it get used to its new climate.... I guess its still adapting. Seriously, sorry for the incident and glad You are ok! Let me know what You intend to do with it and perhaps I can assist You in Your project. Obviously now its time to go all the way....
Old 04-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually let me know if You want to sell it also, I am bored and the Cup Car never needs anything....lol
Old 04-28-2004, 09:30 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glen

I pm'd Greg Fishman about going all the way to get his thoughts. Haven't decided what to do yet. I'll pm you about going all out if that ends up being what I do. Now seems like a good time since 3/4 of the sheet metal needs replaced.

Quick Reply: Remember the car which wouldn't start when buying vanilla ice cream?