Sponsored by:

Sears Point Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 08:24 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Sears Point Track Day

I participated in an excellent track event at Sears Point Raceway last Saturday and thought I'd give some well deserved kudos. The event was hosted by speedventures.net (formerly Wurth Motorsports) and was among the best track events I've run.

The Wurth/Bitterman crew was professional and put safety above all else. 75 participants were divided into 3 groups by skill level. By the end of the day, those who had the stamina had logged about 3 hours of track time. Passing zones were set by group which allowed the seasoned drivers a bit more passing discretion than the beginners. As is their practice, they ran again on Sunday - I passed! My understanding is that about 30 drivers shared the track for the day.

Machinery ranged from 4-door sedans (Audi A4, S4, BMW 540i, etc..), C-5 & Z06 Vettes, Honda S2000's (tons of them as they run a S2000 race series), Ferrari 355F1, 355 Spider, 360 Modena, 550 Maranello, Vipers, Miatas, Mustangs, etc... to dedicated race cars. P-cars represented a small minority! Just a couple 996 Turbos, a very nice modified 928S4, an 87-ish Targa and my 993.

I did double duty as a driver and volunteer instructor. Aside from a slightly scratched Ferrari 360 Modena (solo spin), the day was completed without incident. For those on the left-coast, I recommend the <a href="http://www.speedventure.net" target="_blank">www.speedventure.net</a> events if you are looking to log cubic laps for a reasonable fee. Next event: Spring Mountain (Pahrump, near Pahrump, NV) May 25th/26th.

Note: I have no affiliation with these guys but enjoyed the experience much more than those hosted by other organizations.

Matt
Old 04-02-2002, 03:17 PM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll second Matt's praise of this event. I ran Sunday, but not Saturday, and had the same very positive experience. Aaron and John, the organizers, have their act together.

I've been hesitant to run with any track event group other than the PCA because of some scary car-to-car contact I've witnessed with uncontrolled passing at, for instance, NASA events.

But, these guys seem to attract a more mature, for lack of a better term, crowd and enforce their passing regulations. EVERY pass requires a point-by. And, after nearly 2 hours of lapping, I never felt like I was being help up. Everyone played nice and paid attention to their mirrors.

Do yourself a favor and get on the track with these guys.

Dean
Old 04-02-2002, 08:49 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops! There’s a typo in that URL. I tried checking <a href="http://www.speedventure.net," target="_blank">www.speedventure.net,</a> and it wasn’t related to racing at all. The correct URL has an S, like this: <a href="http://www.speedventures.net" target="_blank">www.speedventures.net</a>