Sponsored by: DashLynx

Phew...about the sweetest sound I've heard

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 10:54 AM
subdriver
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Phew...about the sweetest sound I've heard

Living here in Guam...yes, Guam...the closest thing to a Porsche mechanic within 1500 miles is, well, me.

I transferred to Guam a couple of years ago and opted to bring the car with me from Hawaii, unwilling to put the car in storage. I was wary of the decision, but having the benefit of this forum, Robin's website and some email tech support from my mechanic back in Oahu (no shop manuals when I moved - they were on back order), things have turned out better than I expected.

I held off a slow evaporator leak, but it eventually gave up the ghost. The local auto AC guys said, "sure we can fix it." When I asked them how they planned to accomplish the work, it was clear...I was on my own. While the saga of shipping parts to Guam is way off topic, I eventually collected all the necessary parts. While I waited for a break in my work schedule and some good weather to do the work, the car failed to start one morning. Having gone down the path of DME relays before, I assumed this would be a quick fix...wrong, failed fuel pump. More parts ordered, and eventually received.

With a well-spirited group of neighborhood and family skeptics checking in periodically, I dove in head first. A couple of business trips interrupted progress, but today, thankfully, with everything back together (and no left over parts), I turned the key. Phew...just about the sweetest sound I've ever heard (of course, RSRs would be an improvement, but I haven't headed down that slippery slope yet) as the car turned over the first time. The skeptics were disappointed...no fuel leaks, fans ran, dampers shifted...ha ha! It was time for a cold one.

I may not have enough quality photos to build a solid DIYer package for Robin, but will give it a shot. In the meantime, I'm happy to share details with anyone contemplating evaporator replacement - just email.

Thanks to Scott Schulte in Oahu, Rick Lee and Robin for technical assistance when I ran into dead ends. The skeptics might have prevailed without your help. This truly has been a great experience. Like so many of you, I've learned a heck of a lot more about my car...don't know what's next, but can't wait.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Welcome, Mark! Great first post!

Let's see some pics.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:24 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

very inspirational! Great stuff and welcome to the board!
Old 04-24-2004, 11:31 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Your dedication to the marque makes you very welcome here!
Old 04-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

How many Porsches are there in Guam?
Welcome!!!!
Old 04-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark -

First post - and you're already a member! Sweeeeet.
Welcome, you Porsche Lone Ranger in the middle of the Pacific!
Old 04-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I ever pass back through Guam on the way to Palau, I'll have to stay over & look you up! You're a brave man, the A/C stuff looks seriously buried in the 993.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:35 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard, Mark! Sounds like you had your hands full w/ the a/c. I know too well the problems of finding qualified people to work on these cars as I live over on Kauai. Oahu has some really sharp people for Posrches, but no one here has a clue.

You plan on staying in Guam for long or are you returning to Hawaii?

Aloha nui loa
Old 04-25-2004, 04:29 AM
subdriver
Rennlist Member

Mark in Baltimore: Photos on the way. Gotta get the file size down first.

Jack: At last check Guam had two 964s; one Boxster and thought I saw a silver Speedster a few months ago. With mine, that's less than half a dozen.

Robert: Hurray fast; I move to Nebraska in June. What takes you to Palau...diving? The evaporator job sounds a lot more daunting than it ultimately turned out - it's fairly tedious; lots of tags to mark connections before broken, a handful of reference photos; and lots of going back and forth between shop manuals (finally got my set from back order) and a PET CD.

Kelly: We love Kauai and really miss the islands; unfortunately my next assignment is not in Hawaii. I was really fortunate with the auto shop on Oahu - owner and mechanic Scott Schulte was always a pleasure to work with. I'm probably somewhat over confident having tackled the evaporator and fuel pump, but will jump in for future items before heading to a dealer or mechanic - this is just too much fun - I suppose it's only a matter of time before I'm doing business with Gert. Anxious to get anywhere with a reputable paint shop, as my car has cosmetic damage from Supertyphoon Pongsona - no one here would touch the car for fear of really messing up the paint.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Default Welcome!

Welcome, Mark and hafa adai! You have my condolences being stuck on Guam with your Porsche. Good for you getting it up and running again. You got your work cut out for you. It must have been pretty tough keeping it from becoming a 'boonie car.'

The avatar might be a bit of a tip off, but you might guess I'm a fellow submariner. T-Hull guy. I was stationed in Guam back in the early ninties. To say I didn't care for it would be a slight understatement. Some people absolutely love it there, and I hope you are one of them.

Old 04-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a helluva an intro to Rennlist -- one post, one membership, one great anecdote hitting one of the toughest (most deeply hidden) parts of the 993. Welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: Phew...about the sweetest sound I've heard