Targa sunshade: owners please note

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 05:04 PM
joon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Targa sunshade: owners please note

A few weeks ago, I posted and requested help to fix my broken/malfunctioned targa sun shade mechanism.
Anyhow, I fixed it yesterday. It functions now, but not very smoothly due to minor wear and some stickiness of old adhesive used to repair the upholstery in that area.

Root cause: the upholstery wrapping the pillar came loose and caught the mechanism and rail as it was opening/closing. This caused it to get off track and bound up, breaking some little plastic pieces.

At least in AZ where it’s hot, the upholstery became unglued. The upholstery had been previously repaired by the dealer and previous owner. As time progressed, the sticky adhesive and duct tape all curled up and ended up obstructing the travel.

Do check your Targas for similar problems. With the roof completely opened you should be able to look down the tracks and pillar to see if the upholstery is peeling off. If anyone wants pictures of what I’m talking about, I can email to them.

I want to replace certain parts of the plastic rail and mechanism as they are now quite worn. Can anyone with some pictures email to me how to perform the replacement? Good luck and happy motoring.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:18 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joon,
I had a great help with this same problem from all of the great people on this site!! I posted this thread weeks ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=targa+shade

How did you handle the loose upholstery?

Quick Reply: Targa sunshade: owners please note