Oily plug...valve guide wear?!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 09:00 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts
Post Oily plug...valve guide wear?!!

I just completed my 60k service on my 95 993- Thanks to Robin and all the others who have so generously provided DIY info!

Here's my concern- on the forward cylinder, passinger side, both plugs look a little oily, particularly on the lower plug. The plugs are not completely fouled, but there is definitely oil present. I suppose that this could be failing rings, but then I would probably see a lot more oil consumption. Strangely, the car consumes very little oil- about 1qt every 1500 miles.

Is this an indicator of valve guide wear? All the other plugs are gloriously clean and properly worn.

If this is an indicator of failing valve guides on this cylinder, should they be replaced immediately, and should all the guides be redone at the same time?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
Lots of opinions on valve guide wear on 993. Some, including my mechanic, think it happens to a few at around 60K, some not till much later. My '87 911 had worn guides at 116K, and I had the top end rebuilt. Symptoms were rapidly increasing oil consumption, and you could see it out the exhaust, till the highest consumption before rebuild was 1 qt per 400 miles. My mechanic said all the valve guides were about evenly worn, not just some. Perhaps somebody like Steve Weiner who has by now done a few dozen of these can chime in.

Quick Reply: Oily plug...valve guide wear?!!