Sponsored by:

Can not shift to gears 2,4,6 Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:33 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

It seems that your mechanic Kadeer may not have a lot of experience in the matter. I agree with Glen. Send your box to a reputable shop to avoid headackes. Glen's advise is gold on this matter and while he is such a bad influence his experience on building superfast Porsche's is second to none. It will cost you since you decided to proceed with mods, it is worth it for sure but you have to do it right the first time around and not have to reopen the box.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Glen
K, 1 and 2 are 3 pc syncros and used to be about 1200-1400$ apiece. If You are going to do one, do 2nd, first is irrelevant. I did not see You adressing gears btw, make sure to regear. The US ratios are horrible. Goto Carquip.com and play with the ratio calculator excell ss and plaug in your ratios to see the monstrous gaps. Then go ahead and throw in the g50-21 ratios and the RSCS ratios for fun. When You are all done the cheapest route is to move your stock 5th to 6th and 3rd to 4th then buy a custom 3rd and 5th to fill the gaps leave 1 and 2 alone. Better than that is use g50-21 3,4,5 and a custom 6th, better than that is full custom ratios. Remember to match your shift points with the power band of the car and also raise the rev point on each shift as you drop into each gear, ie a stairstep process. The car and engine has to overcome exponentially greater aerodynamic drag with each shiftg as the speed goes up so where your shift from 2-3 can drop to say 4500 from redline, your 3-4 needs to be @ 5200-5500, your 4-5 needs to be 5400-5600 and yo0ur 5-6 needs to be @ 5800-6000. That is where you begin to get an active gearbox where you always have the right ratio for the situation. Also be aware that i dont know of a track that a NA 993 will exceed 155 so that is a great redline in 6th target to come back down off of. the car is aero limited to @ 165-168 so if You want to make that redline in 6th that will work also, but You will never see it....Except in some sort of really stupid on public roads scenario that I know You would never do anyway....lol Anyway have fun, there are 4 guys I would send a box to, Copan, Gamroth(Weiner) and Friedman, all very very good. I will gently encourage You to so the same, Le Mans winning Pro teams use these guys so should You. Please PM me if You need specifics on how to contact them. Dont worry about hurting mechanic feelings, its your car.
Yeah!!! I don't call it stairstep process.......ITs a "stair way to heaven"
If anyone needs the charts.......PM me and I'll fax them
Old 05-04-2004, 01:06 AM
kadeer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the bill today.
Here is what got done on the car.
3K for Parts ( RS Clutch, Steel Syncro 3,4,5,6), Lower Valve cover, Filter, fluids etc)
3K for Labour (1K for 60K service, 2K for clutch, syncros, valve cover)
500 Tax
Total $6500.

I was ticjked with the Local NY mechanic in Freeport, as I was led to believe much lower, the guy was charging for grease (100 and nickel and diming on parts everywhere. Did 6th syncro when wasn't suppose too.
I needed the car so I had to pay, my car now has this new humming noise at low rmp/stationary. It turns off in 2nd and 3rd when stopping.
Not a good day today.
Kadeer
Old 05-04-2004, 01:38 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I had my transmission done there was a whine that went away after a couple hundred miles. With the LWF, it sounds like a cement truck if you lug the engine. I look at it as the car reminding me to pay attention.

While it sounds like the experience with the shop wasn't good, I hope you find the LWF upgrade to be as much fun I and others have.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:08 AM
kadeer
Instructor

Tom,
Right, It sound like the cement truck at low rpm. Crumbling noise.
Kind of noisy and annoying, Is this normal for the LWF clutch.
-Kadeer
Old 05-04-2004, 02:29 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by kadeer
Tom,
Right, It sound like the cement truck at low rpm. Crumbling noise.
Kind of noisy and annoying, Is this normal for the LWF clutch.
-Kadeer
I really do not want to say I told you so, but like I pointed out on my previous post the Andial Midweight flywheel is the ticket for a 1995. I have done both on my 95's and I know first hand about that. You are going to experience stalling with the normal RS LWF plus the noise you have. While there is not much you can do about the noise, the stalling issue can be addressed partially ( some have total success) with cleaning and adjusting your ISV valve. Even more a GIAC chip might help according to some accounts in that department. Steve Weiner, our resident expert is the person to talk to about that as well.

Did you mechanic change the part I mentioned in the tranny??? I certainly hope so...

Mechanics who take advantage of people really tick me off
Good luck and I hope your tranny issues are forever gone...
Old 05-04-2004, 02:51 AM
kadeer
Instructor

Danny,
Should have listen to you, my appologies.
My mechanic insisted RS LWF he said he did few of them never had a problem, this guys travels with the race team as the crew mech and has 25+ experience. But I should have know there is nothing like the Rennlist user experience. In all fairness the mechanic is a good guy but the shop ower/partner screwed me.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:33 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by kadeer
Danny,
Should have listen to you, my appologies.
My mechanic insisted RS LWF he said he did few of them never had a problem, this guys travels with the race team as the crew mech and has 25+ experience. But I should have know there is nothing like the Rennlist user experience. In all fairness the mechanic is a good guy but the shop ower/partner screwed me.
Kadeer, no need to apologize. I just feel bad that you had to spend so much money and you are not really happy... The value of Rennlist is just that. We all share our experiences and bond together and in the process our mishaps and trials or errors become a valuable guide for the rest of the community. Our upgrades cost a lot of money so sharing our experiences lead to smarter and more informed decisions for all the members here. I'm sure that your experiences are now a valuable lesson and I'm sure in the future when someone is in your shoes you will share your first hand knowledge and he/she will benefit from that.
There have been many stories lately as to where our board is going and why some members are harsh so to speak to some others. Well this is part of why this board is and remains so valuable because all of us guard so to speak the content in such a manner that it is accurate, informative and void of potentially very expensive and dangerous opinions. This has a direct benefit to all as it can save everyone potential headackes that some , including you now, have experienced.
Look at it this way: At least now you can trust this board to lead you further to the slippery slope, spend more money in the process but have a huge smile on your face when you drive your car I personally will be easy on you and not tell you what other mods you now need to do since you already started!
I'm not so sure though if Phil will behave though

Old 05-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I now have a fear
For our dearest friend Kadeer
He did not regear
Old 05-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Nemick42
Instructor

Kadeer,

Unless I missed it in the posts somewhere, I am still unsure about the exact cause of your g/box problem. I feel for you with regard to getting ripped by the owner, but what's done is done, enjoy your car.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The noise when you try to accelerate from low rpm is normal for my car. As I indicated, I view it as a reminder to pay attention and downshift before trying to accelerate. My transmission also had a high pitched whine (like a turbocharger) that went away after a few hunder miles. Other have reported a similar noise, so I wasn't concerned. My transmission was done over 2 years ago and I'm still happy with it.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glen,

Nice Haiku!

Hank
Old 05-04-2004, 11:22 PM
kadeer
Instructor

Geln,
The shop said. regearing was thousands, so I was easily discouraged.
One day I will join the regear club, soon after a house.

Tom, I notice the whine too. Today I was stalling at every traffic light when I braked from 2nd. I will try to get the ISV cleaned if not change the driving style to heel&toe on stopping.

All you guys have been extremly helpful. Thanks
Old 05-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I have piles of G50 gears if you need replacements cheaper than new.
That was why I mentioned this on the first page ...
Old 05-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kadeer, the stalling was more a function of depressing the clutch when above about 2.5k rpm (in my car) so there was a large, sudden drop in rpm that the ECU could/would not correct. The fix is to wait longer before letting out the clutch when coming to a stop (or ISV adjustment, or both). When you are already in first gear, heel/toe won't help.

Quick Reply: Can not shift to gears 2,4,6 Help