993 Forum 1995-1998

BIG puddle of oil of garage floor this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 05:02 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by aircooledpurist
Yep…. And the oil on my garage floor was all burned and dirty from sitting on top of my exhaust manifolds before hitting the floor.

I found out yesterday that oil never even made it inside my engine. Better yet, my car isn’t leaking at all. All that oil was the result of a very sloppy oil fill.

My friends Don and Dan at Fairfield County Motorsports spent about two hours washing, wiping, degreasing the underside of my engine. A long drive and back on the lift. Bone dry. It doesn’t even smell anymore when I turn on the heat!

No valve cover leaks, no leaks anywhere. And surprise, the car was down TWO quarts of oil immediately following an oil change. Guess where those two missing quarts went?

I’m very happy it was nothing serious, I’m very disappointed my car was treated with such little respect.

live and learn
Glad it got sorted out. I was going to be shocked if you told me hairy dog did this. but $hit can happen to anyone i guess.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:54 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by gavonder
I KNEW it!! There was just no way that much oil came from the valve cover all of a sudden. It was hard to see from underneath that day at Rob's.
Glad it wasn't serious, but sucks a place you trusted buggered an easy job.

Hey what’s up? That puddle in the photo was AFTER we cleaned things up at Rob’s. No way valve covers are going to leak that much. Also all the oil we were cleaning was burned. It wasn’t leaking from inside the engine. All’s well that ends well.

(Just to be clear to everyone, Fairfield County Motorsport went above and beyond and helped me clean up the mess, they did NOT cause it.)

Old 01-06-2022, 01:41 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

I ran into the same issue and it was overfill in my case. There's no way a valve cover gasket will leak out that much without any warning, especially untouched.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:43 AM
aircooledpurist
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
Nailed it. LOL. Glad to see it was an easy fix.

-Scott
Thanks. Live and learn.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:15 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by aircooledpurist
Thanks. Live and learn.
It's all part of caring for an oil cooled car. Lots of knowledge here and folks willing to help. Enjoy the drive...

-Scott

Quick Reply: BIG puddle of oil of garage floor this morning