Sponsored by:

Wheel Width with Cup/RSR Flares

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 02:19 PM
C Ward
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Wheel Width with Cup/RSR Flares

Does anybody know how much wider wheels I can stuff in a narrow body 993 when I've finished bolting on Cup/RSR flares? I searched the archives, and found plenty of debate about what the flaares on a nwarrow body are called (Cup or RSR, depending).

I know the other alternative is adding turbo rockers and rear quarters and using GT2 flares (for which the wheel width question is readily available). I'm just looking to save sum $ for the twinturbo motor transplant upgrades.

Chuck
Rennlist 991015-1685
Old 07-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You should have no problem with 9" and 11" wheels.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:31 PM
C Ward
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the response. A buddy just called the house and proposed an intriguing, and sick, idea.

Purchase one of the totalled 993's on ebay and fit old rs bodywork (he's thinking the upto 73, not 74). I told him that 1) the front hood, though the same as the 74 on, had a higher strike plate, 2) the front fender attachments were accordinly altered, 3) the rear deck was higher too (Quick estimate).

I've seen two 89-94 era cars retro-fitted, and it was a great concept. Modern suspension and motor in older classic shell. I thought if he was serious he should pursue the original Viper Green C2 with black interior and no sunroof at PAR. High miles and the price has scooted down twice. Easy conversion to a 73 RS look (relatively easy that is).

Chuck
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 AM
95twinturbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck did you end up fitting Cup flares on your narrow body 993? I have a 993 narrow body with Protomotive Stage I twin turbo conversion and am looking at options to widen wheel base without replacing fenders and quarter panels..
Thanks,
Pierre
Old 04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

FVD has OEM GT2 flares that will fit a NB car. If you pick up a set of FVD rocker covers and a rear bumper, the car looks exactly like a GT2. Remember, you will have to cut your fenders to fit the big wheels in there.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:14 PM
95twinturbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tom. I went ahead and ordered the 6-piece Cup flare kit from Getty Design. I was told the stock bumpers can be stretched to mate with the new flares reasonably well without having to buy new bumpers. We'll see...
Old 04-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

I have 10 Fr and 12 in the rears with GT2 flares.. Tires are 265 and 315..they are a tight fit. The key is to get the exact offset. Cargraphic was instrumental in getting me the right sizes based on their own GT2.
When you are ready for the engine transplant, send me a PM, I might have what you need .

Concerning the bumpers, I bought the front from Getty but the rear was a 993TT stock RUF bumper (see avatar) and we had to do a lot of work on it to fit.. We had to cut it a little in the middle, add some resin etc.. Maybe the stock bumper is easier, you need to heat it a little I think.

Quick Reply: Wheel Width with Cup/RSR Flares