Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

conversion to HiFi 3 way in doors using 3D printed pod

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022 | 06:40 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Default conversion to HiFi 3 way in doors using 3D printed pod

Thought I would share most recent project. I purchased donor car black HiFi option door cards to use to convert my midnight blue non HiFi door to enable me to move to a 3 way front speaker setup. I am still on the fence about the black carpet on the bin but like the look of the continuation of the black from the center of the dash across to the doors. I originally planned to just modify the Nokia speaker pods to fit the larger 6.5" woofer, but decided to give it a go with my 3D printer. Boy, did I underestimate the time and effort to refine the design!

I know nothing can beat the music from the amazing flat six in the back, but this was a fun project so don't hate

Lots more photos and details located here... https://photos.app.goo.gl/tU1eDwPJhJDPGiBj8

Here is the before...

Here is the after...

Here is the 3D printed speaker pod...

Here is the 3D printed speaker ring (needed between door card and steel door panel)...

Here is my amateur attempt at tuning using a Helix DSP.3 fully active crossover and eq setup. I know...needs a lot of work, but has been fun learning how to tune!

Last edited by Newbiewan; 01-01-2022 at 06:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Newbiewan:
M. Schneider (01-02-2022), Patrik S (01-03-2022)
Old 01-01-2022 | 11:05 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Nice work. Looks factory. How does it sound?
Old 01-02-2022 | 01:01 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Newbiewan

Here is the 3D printed speaker ring (needed between door card and steel door panel)...

It's amazing that we came up with the same design for the speaker ring. Here's mine from last Jan after a few refinements...

Old 01-02-2022 | 01:30 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Thanks Meenrod. Sounding pretty good. It is hard to exactly compare to old setup since I upgraded the subs and added a dedicated amp for them at the same time. I definitely have lots more tuning to do, but subjectively the addition of the mid seems to make the imaging a little more stable. I did notice some resonances coming from the empty space in the door bin where the Nokia box used to be, but that went away after adding some sound deadening to fill that space.

Boomboomthump, should have saved some time by using your rings
Old 01-02-2022 | 04:48 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default 993 HiFi remodel ala 3D printing modeling.. BRAVO Newbiewan !

Newbiewan - Your HiFi 3D modeling project gets my vote for the 993 DIY Project of the Year.

Back in the day, say 2011 I'd enhance the 993s optional #490 HiFi speakers with the introduction of DSP (signal processing) and fully active amplification. Halleluja for the herculean 12V DSP & the 4 I/O fully active amplification scheme. That all enhancements be "stealth" was met, some issues easier than others. Newbiewan, I gotta tell you,, that OE pillow-framed 130mm mid-woofer was a real bitch. Congratulations on a viable, elegant workaround.

Pioneer's ground-breaking Fully Active w/DSP head unit. Its screen is/was OLED.
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...age4/DEX-P99RS

Cheers, Mike

P.S., I would very much like to buy a set for my '98 Carrera S. Pls. PM me.

Quick Reply: conversion to HiFi 3 way in doors using 3D printed pod