Sponsored by:

leather repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:27 PM
993mac
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question leather repair

am looking to change to 993 number 3 as the miles on my baby are racking up...
have just been to see a c4s, silver with blue full leather, is let down by two things - the yellow dials and seatbelts - easily fixable - and some bruised/less than perfect leather.

question is how easy is it to bring leather back up to 'new'. there are no tears, some small cracks on the seats and dents and scuffs on the dash, doors, etc. can you 'iron out' these dents somehow?

also have never loved the blue interior but think i could learn to (rest of the car is great) provided put in some subtle alloy bits and a black 3 spoke wheel - any other ideas there??

cheers

chris
Old 04-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I had the same issues when I bought my '97 Cab White with blue interior. I thought I could learn to live with the blue interior and fix the blemishes in the leather. After 6 months I gave up and replaced the seats with OEM black heated heats and replaced the back seats with OEM black seats. Everything else got a coat of black Surflex. Any blue leather or vinyl was color changed to black and it came out great. It looks like factor black interior. I kept the blue carpet. Without all of blue leather, the blue carpet looks much darker and goes well with the blue cab top. It has changed the car for me 10 fold. I really prefer the black over the blue.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Oh yes, I also added a three spoke black steering wheel.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:45 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd volunteer to trade front seat belts out of the speed yellow 993

...perhaps even the covers for the silver ones in there now....
Old 04-16-2004, 03:47 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

It is possible to re-dye your leather interior either to restore the original color or to give it a new color. It works better if you are changing from light to dark colors. The long term results are dependant upon how good the dying work.

I've seen some pretty nasty interiors that were re-dyed a year or so ago. The rub areas had started to show through and some flaking was occuring.

But a lot of threads on this forum point to some products that give very good results. I think if you do a search you should find something.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 04-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

I had a high quality leather shop here in GA repair seats for me on the daily driver...excellent results replacing bolster material and redying for very reasonable charge ($200). I was skeptical, but I am impressed. Ask a dealer you trust who they use for leather reconditioning.

Quick Reply: leather repair