Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Becker Traffic Pro, what model?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004 | 11:43 AM
SLVR
Pro

Default Becker Traffic Pro, what model?

Stumped.. it is claer to me that Porsche radios are now divided in two generations. With and w/o MOST which I think is an optical fiber connection. Is it possible to connect a MOST unit to a pre MOST car like mine?

I am wondering how this plays out in the Traffic Pro units. There are a number of different types of Becker TPs and I don't seem to find info how the above issue is dealt with and which one would fit my 993. Threads about the Becker TP on RL don't specify model numbers for the units sold in the US. What type of BTP are you guys installing?

The reason for all this is that I need a NAV system for my Benz ML while in Germany (see my post on Euro region) and the TPs seem reasonably priced and widely available here in Germany. If I get a single DIN sized unit then, once we head back states side, I can re-install the original NAV in the Benz and keep the Becker for the 993. The only draw back is that I would not have the benefit of map display...

TIA for any insight in this matter.
Louis

BTW, the Euro forum is so lively it might as well not exist...
Old 04-16-2004 | 12:57 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

crutchfield sells a traffic pro for ONLY $600 ($1000 off retail)... and it is stated to fit the 993 (according to the tech guy I talked to last night anyway)

I had good experiences ordering from crutchfield.. free shipping, free harness and other goodies....

plus now I get to offer a $20 off coupon to 'friends and family'

..but other sources may sell it cheaper...
Old 04-16-2004 | 01:51 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by ceboyd
crutchfield sells a traffic pro for ONLY $600 ($1000 off retail)
Right now, it's $499.

Great deal, imho, if you are thinking of upgrading your stereo anyways. The updated "Online Pro" also play MP3's. But that one is not on sale.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dbjOHMl...ch=traffic+pro
Old 04-16-2004 | 03:05 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

It is impossible to connect a MOST (Becker-built but Porsche-branded) unit to a pre-MOST car, as the stereo will need to be activated through the Porsche diagnostic equipment which will NOT be able to see/communicate with/identify/activate it.

Becker-branded stereo/navigation units will work with/on any vehicle.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 04-16-2004 | 03:31 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the one crutchfield is selling is Harmon Kardon and NOT Becker... but looks like the becker unit.. and matches the OEM Look if you ask me...

Perhaps thats why it is said to work fine....
Old 04-16-2004 | 03:36 PM
Autobahn
Pro

make sure you get the high speed version of the TP.
Old 04-17-2004 | 01:46 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

will the traffic pro radio work w/factory DPS?
Old 04-17-2004 | 02:18 AM
ingo777
Instructor

I have installed a Porsche CDR-32 in my 993 I´m not 100% sure but think its MOST, and it works fine. But I doublecheck and post again!
Old 04-17-2004 | 05:23 AM
SLVR
Pro

Thanks guys.

Ingo, 'd be interesting to see if you indeed have an MOST in there. It is quite confusing in fact. The CDR 22 is not MOST but the CDR23 is. Whether the CDR-32 is MOST I can't remember off-hand.

Anyway it seems that anything branded Becker is universal. Becker's website also does not make the distinction.
Old 04-17-2004 | 05:38 AM
ingo777
Instructor

Ok... back! The CDR32 is not MOST. But Porsche had a Traffic Pro, which they claim is non MOST as well. Partnumber: 000 044 900 77. I´m´not sure if its still avail. I found this info on www.porsche.de,

following link:

http://www3.porsche.de/german/deu/ac...diotabelle.htm

Hope that helps, let me know and have nice remaining weekend!
Old 04-17-2004 | 07:12 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Jeff 993TT
Right now, it's $499.

Great deal, imho, if you are thinking of upgrading your stereo anyways. The updated "Online Pro" also play MP3's. But that one is not on sale.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dbjOHMl...ch=traffic+pro
wow..thanks for the heads up Jeff!!! I just snatched one I always wanted a nav unit on my cabrio but as I'm a freak for OEM look I did not want to go aftermarket, nor pay 1500 bills so this is perfect and for sure a great deal. I figured they will not be in the market for too long anyway so this is great!

Thanks again
Old 04-18-2004 | 04:57 AM
SLVR
Pro

Ingo, thanks. I think I see the pattern here.

The crutchfield deal is good but I need a Euro version: 05/.1 MHz increments FM, euro traffic info, etc.

Thanks all for pitching in!
Old 04-18-2004 | 07:15 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another thanks for the heads up-I just ordered one from Crutchfields too. The harness and, I believe, shipping were included.

Al
Old 04-18-2004 | 07:20 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

i have never seen the traffic pro radio. can you tell me how it works as a nav system w/o a screen. where do you input the data?

and will it work w/DSP?
Old 04-19-2004 | 09:15 AM
SLVR
Pro

Ken,

Maybe I didn't say this very precisely. When I said no map display, I meant to say that it does not have one of those 5-7 inch screens where one can follow progress on a map image. Beckers have more regular sized display for single DIN unit. The unit provides instructions for the route by means of arrows and other alphanumerical information. In most cases I guess it is also supported by voice commands.

I am used to an MB system with a larger display showing a map. However, as I said in my post on the Euro region forum, I was surprised when I rented a new BMW 5-series to find that, despite having the large screen, it does not display maps. It only has the arrow/voice based instructions. Nevertheless, the unit faithfully got me to every destination (as part of a four day house hunting expedition in the area around Frankfurt) and proved to be very accurate.

Hope this answers your question.

I thought the DSP simply uses the pre-amp out signal and should work with any aftermarket unit that has such a connection but I'll let others chime in since I am not sure on that.

Quick Reply: Becker Traffic Pro, what model?